Spad 625 review by Douglas

Douglas: Spad 625

Purchased from: Rondo Music

The pickups have a very airy sound, almost acoustic like, a bit like those in an electric acoustic guitar, but very powerful. They have a bit of hum when plugged straight into the amp, but it's all gone when using effects. The sound is bright, full, and well defined. Just a touch of mud a full volume but clear as a bell at just above half way. Since it has coil tapping you can get single and dual coil sound for a good bit of variety. Sounds great straight, I also use it with a Line 6 Pocket POD and a Yamaha Magic Stomp, and it sound just super.

I play Christian rock and pop, and some country too. This will fit anything I need an electric for, but it would also be very well suited for harder music as well, those pups have some sweet scream in them if you want it. I've been playing for over 30 years, I also own a Line 6 electric and a nice Jay Turser electric, also a Takimine, Rougue (my bang around guitar) and Jay Turser acoustics. I'd replace this in a heartbeat if lost or stolen. The sound of this guitar is sweet, and it really invites you to spend time with it and to try new things. And it looks really great, very sharp. The only thing it doesn't have that would have been nice would have been a whammy bar, but no big deal. I checked out hundreds of guitars on the internet prior to picking this one, but I'm very glad I did get this one. I could have paid 3 or 4 times as much and not felt ripped off. A super value, I wish I had the money, I go on the Rondo website and buy 2 or three more Douglas, Agile or SX electrics. Did I mention I really like it?

I've only had it three days so it's hard to tell. It seems dependable enough, I would consider it gig worthy. The finish is rock hard and should stand up well if well cared for. The hardware seems like it will hold up and the strap buttons seem solid. I think if I gigged I would still want a backup, but I would with any other guitar anyway, something can always go wrong with even the best of guitars. It can be much quicker to plug in another guitar than to change a string.

Not set up well, but it was under 200 bucks, so I'm willing to do a little work. There was slight buzz on 2 frets and it came with the action way low. Made one slight adjustment on bridge to slightly raise the action and WOW, now it's great with no buzz and the action is still very low. No truss rod adjustment needed and intonation is close enough that I've not messed with it yet. I may try raising the pickups slightly, but they are already pretty hot. Finish and binding were just about perfect. This guitar is so much better looking than it was on the website, with a darker wood tone than the one pictured. I have found no visual flaws at all. There is a variation in the color of the neck and the body, but it looks O.K. And it is fairly close, I'm sure the neck is maple or some other harder wood but the website does not say. The tone knob feels just a little odd or loose when turned on the inside, but it works just fine. A pro set-up and this would have been a 10.

Made in 2009 or 2010, most likely in China. 24 frets, slightly thin neck, jumbo frets, rosewood fretboard, custom inlay on 12th fret. Carved solid top, Basswood body, double cutaway design, clear coat natural finish, all black hardware. It has a set neck. Gibson style bridge and string through the body design. Dual ceramic humbucker style pickups with 5 way-switch and wiring allowing for coil tapping. Solid black standard tuners. Sharp V style headstock with all tuners on one side. Single tone and volume control. Pots are sunk slightly into the body.

mfergel
    MrGuitarGuy01 wrote: I find it hard to believe that a guitar under 200 bucks deserves a 9. But as long as you enjoy it, fine by me.
    Why? Seriously, when I bought my first Squier 20+ years ago it was crap, wouldn't stay in tune, lifeless pickups, etc. Guitars have come so far in a short time. I've got several Agiles and have actually sold higher end Gibsons because the Agiles play and sound better. OK, maybe the Douglas isn't a 9 but I bet a better set of tuners and electronics and it sounds and plays as nice as an equivalent Schecter, Ibanez, etc.
    lildude_6859
    Dream Floyd
    KimAvlastenok
    a touch of mud with full level equals to a max 6 in sound! That is of course, in my little world. But dude, you've had it for three days?! Wait at least three months before reviewing it, so you're 100% sure that what you're saying is right. One last comment: God damn it looks goooood!
    MrGuitarGuy01
    JoePerry4life
    Dream Floyd wrote: lildude_6859 wrote: it looks pretty nice...i've considered getting an Agile/Douglas or whatever...i see nothing but good reviews for them Usually (not always) because the reviewers are total n00bs when it comes to reviewing gear.
    Sadley yes. But I have a douglas rhoads V copy that sounds and plays fantastic for 150 shipped. Best guitar ever? Not by a long shot. People give their guitar 9's and such because its what they have and to them it is a 9. But compared to something 4 times the price its usually not a 9.
    EpiExplorer
    What a crap name.. Looks more like a spud. Being presumptious, I bet it sounds nowhere near as good as it looks..
    Demonikk
    SkaryGary
    rondo music is awesome i baught a douglas black v for 150 and i love it! best guitars for the price out there!
    pointblank36
    no these guitars are actually high quality and sound AMAZING for the price. and compared to ESPs theyre better
    SkodaATOM
    Demonikk wrote: Agiles/Douglas/Sx are tops in their price range really. This guitar costs less than $200, you're not going to get anything close to that anywhere else. These are designed more as a blank canvas i.e. the body is very good quality with the hardware being cheap 'functional' components, keeping the costs down and allowing you to customise them yourself
    +1 My father-ini-law is a bluesman from Memphis and has been playing all kinds of guitars for the 40+ years he's been playing (plus he owned a music shop for a while). Most of his setup consists of SX guitars (with the exeption of a Strat and a Fernandez strat-style guitar). He says the bodies are just like the body styles they are trying to cop, and after a pickup change and a little setting up, they are amazing.
    jrkgrb
    Why do so many people think that because something costs more it has to be better? I've been trying to branch out from shopping for the usual brands for guitars, they simply don't have what I'm looking for in a guitar at the price I want. Its simply a mental thing to want the guitar with a big price tag and a brand everyone knows, it doesn't make you any better of a player. But if you need it to feel better about yourself go nuts.
    Semperfidelis23
    http://www.rondomusic.com/eg2botwr.html I'm seriously considering buying it... It gave me an orgasm when I saw it. It's such a beautiful guitar, and only $180 with shipping??? Only problem is I can't find any reveiws on it, but I know a few people with Sx guitars and they say good things about it.