Spad 625 review by Douglas

Douglas: Spad 625

Purchased from: sam ash

It's a 2000 Douglas Spad 625. It was made in China. It has a 25.5 scale length with 24 frets. The neck profile is a thin c shaped maple set neck with a 12"-16" radius rosewood fretboard with a tribal inlay at the 12th fret. The body is an archtop string through basswood body super strat style, tune-o-matic bridge with white binding around the top edges. It's gloss metallic red, front and back, with a reverse 6 in-line headstock with off brand locking tuners. It has 2 humbuckers, ones a GFS Hotbucker in the bridge, with one volume and one tone knobs. Has a 5-way selector switch, cane with strap locks, a strap. Overall was a good deal.

I play predominantly play metal and some blues, but this guitar is definitely a metal heads guitar. But when the neck pickup is active its amazing on a clean channel, I use a 1997 Peavey 100 watt Bandit 112 TransTube with built-in reverb and 3 gain channels if you push both channels in, and sometimes ill run a mini wah pedal through it. I've a ran it through a $2000 Blackstar amp in before I bought it and wow did it sound amazing. Its very versatile.

When I bought the guitar at Sam Ash they set up the guitar to my liking. So I have clue how it was before, but everything is just fine with the build of the guitar, the only thing that wasn't the greatest was the few chips on the body headstock. 8 for the chips.

I have used this guitar in a few gigs and it has withstood a 2 hour show. The hardware and finish has lasted a long time and has many years to go, the strap locks that came with the guitar are pretty solid but still need to tighten them every once in a while. And even though its a good guitar never go play without a backup unless you full trust your gear. I never leave without a backup.

As I said I mostly play metal and blues and this guitar can do anything you throw at it in my experience with it. I've been playing since a child and own many other instruments like pianos and drums. I bought it as a present for myself and never really had a problem about its condition. If it was lost or stolen I really would be too hurt over it as I only paid $99 usd for it. But if I came across another I would definitely buy it again. I love the reverse headstock on it though. It reminds me of a Schecter or an Ibanez. I do wish it had a pair of Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz pickups in it though.