WRL-590 review by Douglas

Douglas: WRL-590

Purchased from: Rondo Music

This guitar comes with two humbuckers and a single coil in an HSH configuration. The bridge pickup will get the work done, but it isn't anything special. The neck pickup has noticeably lower output than the bridge, which could be annoying for those who like to switch to the neck pickup for solos. The middle single coil pickup is useless to me, so I do not use it all. A pickup swap is recommended for those who buy this guitar, but for the price of this thing it's not much of a loss. I have played this guitar through many amps, including a Vox AC30, Mesa Tremoverb, Bogner Shiva, and Fender Frontman 25R. Of course, most of the tone comes from the amps, but you would be able to tell the difference with different guitars. The bridge pickup can handle metal quite well, but can get a bit loose when dropping to tunings C or lower. It can do rock, and has high enough output for a nice broken-up sound on a tube amp. Rolling the volume knob back and get mediocre clean sounds. The neck pickup can do cleans pretty fine, but lacks clarity and the solo "punch". Some could say it is a bit muddy. The middle pickup is quite useless in my opinion, as it just sounds bad, even when combined with the neck or bridge pickup. Its not horrible, just not good enough. But with a fill pickup swap, this would be a very, very versatile guitar.

I play many genres of music, but I bought this guitar for teh metulz. The specs seemed nice and too good to be true. The guitar plays well, sounds well, and only 200$. I have been playing for at least three to four years, and play for fun. I recently bought an LTD EC256, and honestly this guitar feels and plays much nicer. I wish I could have played this guitar before I ordered it, but after owning it for at least a year, there are no regrets. Things like pickups, tuners, and other hardware are always replaceable, but the guitar is just crafted very nicely. I'm not saying its better or as good as $1000+ guitars, but for the price, it plays pretty well. If it was stolen or lost, I would buy another one because of the price tag. It looks beautiful, and for an obscure brand, looks unique (it isn't really a copy of another guitar). I wish they still had the body-thru bridge, because the floyd rose on this guitar is some poop. Douglas really should start making higher-end guitars (but still affordable). Many people complain about the guitars they received from RondoMusic, but I am very satisfied with my purchase.

YouTube preview picture

I have gigged with this guitar several times, and it has never let me down. It is quite light, but it can take a beating. Everything is solid on this guitar, but I would buy strap locks, only because it is recommended for any gigging musician. It is not a very easily chippable guitar (if that's a word), except on the headstock, because it has some pointy angles. I have played this guitar live with no backup, and it was fine. However, the bridge on this guitar seems quite cheap, so I blocked it, which surprisingly made the guitar much better. Stable tuning, even during hot, loud shows, and better sustain. Before I blocked it, tuning was a little annoying problem. But in the end, the guitar will only be in the shape you treat it to be in.

When the guitar first shipped in, the Floyd Rose bridge was set up horribly. It takes some time to set everything up, like the bridge, pickup heights, and the action to your liking, but after that, it plays wonderfully. The guitar had no aesthetic flaws. The smokey chrome hardware looks very unique and adds subtle flashiness on the guitar. Although, after a year of playing the guitar, the finish on the volume knob and part of the bridge is rubbing off. The guitar is amazingly light and thin, and yet very sturdy. It does not feel like a cheap guitar at all. The neck is slim for fast playing and had nice upper-fret access, but isn't overly anorexic like Ibanez necks. The guitar has a nice, pointy headstock (but the logo is pretty ugly). The neck contour is amazing, the neck-through design making it comfortable all the way up to the last frets. I have never played a guitar with a neck this nice around even twice its price range. Personally, it is one of the most comfortable guitars I have played. Overall, the construction is pretty tight, no noticeable flaws, tuning pegs get very accurate tunings, tuning stays in tune for a very long time (my bridge is blocked). The Grover tuners are a very nice plus to this guitar.

The specs of this guitar from the website are: - 2 humbucker pickups and one single coil - 22 fret 3 piece mahogany neck-thru neck - Dual cutaway solid Mahogany body is contoured for comfortable play - Licensed floyd rose double locking bridge - Bound Rosewood fretboard and adjustable truss rod with Shark tooth inlays - 5-way pickup selector switch and one volume and one tone control - All smokey chrome hardware including Diecast Smokey Chrome Grover Tuners - Width of the neck at the nut: 1 11/16"; at the 24th fret: 2 3/16" - Neck profile (thickness) at the first fret 13/16" at the 12th 7/8" - Overall length, including the strap button: 39 1/2"; Scale length: 25 1/2" - Width at the widest point: 12" - Body thickness 1 5/8" at edge - Weight is only 7 lbs This guitar was made in China, no gig bag or case included, but came with a cable and all the necessary wrenches. According to specs and for the price, this guitar seems great on paper (or well, a web page).

higgins909
    video says the floyd rose is good, review says poop? I'm wanting a douglas scope 725 nat ash and it didnt get quite a good review on the floyd rose, but im sure its the same one used in the video... that said it was good?
    danielbang
    btw I did not include the video, that was UG. There aren't much any good reviews on Youtube
    silerburst LP
    I bought one of these as well, since they were being discontinued from Rondo. I actually wanted a 7 string but the Douglas 7's they have are a bolt on neck, and this 590 is a neck through for the same $200! I agree with the review above, you get a great git to work from. With serious players its is not uncommon to have the pups swapped out, thats where a lot of sound quality comes from. I am going to put in some Entwistle pups (awesome for the $$!), work on the FR and upgrade the allen bolts to stainless (can be found at hobby stores). The feel of this guitar is excellent, very thin and comfortable. I hope rondo finds another company to make this guitar for other metalheads to jam on...it rocks. If your looking for a good demo, check out "ken hill jamming" on youtube.