S101 review by Drive

Drive: S101

Purchased from: 5

For the price this thing has awesome sound. It's good for most styles of music, but best suited for classic rock. It has a bright punchy sound and handles harder stuff pretty good too, but would sound much better for the harder stuff if I added a SD hot rail or something at the bridge and neck. I have to say, while practicing without an amp this thing has terrific sound. Basicly it sounds very much like an accoustic without the amp. Body has good tonality\harmonics.

Haven't seriously been learning but for two months but I like to play classic rock and modern rock with a pinch of hard rock and alternative thrown in. My nephews band (punk) mostly used this guitar, and my daughter began toying with it for the last year and a half. I am more than satisfied with the guitar features vs price. I can't say I'd get another one if it were stolen because I also have a Peavey Predator and will be picking up a Les Paul next month, but I would highly recommend it to any beginner out there because it's built to last and sounds good. I also can't say that I find anything I don't like about this guitar.

The action didn't come set right, so with a little adjustment I have it where I want it. The pickups (for what they are) were fine but I messed with them anyway. The finish came flawless.

The S101 by Drive Guitars is an amazing value. It features all that musicians want at an absolutely unbeatable price. The S101 features 3 single coil pickups for a full, sustained tone. It has a hardwood body and a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. The fretboard has 21 frets and dot inlaid position markers. The chrome tuning gears are enclosed to keep dirt and dust out and ensure that the guitar will tune easily. The electronics contain 1 volume control, 2 tone controls, and a 5 position pickup selector Switch, making it possible to dial in the right tone with ease.

frantic_saint
    i dont know, i just got one last night and it sounds great. mine has a whammy bar and the one in the pic dont though
    sixchain
    This was my first guitar ive had it for 4 years not with almost all stock parts except the bottom strap knob. As for the durability and reliability, i noticed nothing was in the reveiw. I have dropped this, and even done guitar swings and it has fallen from doing that. It still to this day plays perfectly. I play Rock and Metal. For this style music its an ok guitar.
    generate1
    I have been playing guitar for over 40 years and have owner hundreds of guitars. I bought a S101 strat copy at a pawn shop for $49. I put in a GFS active loaded pickguard. The neck on this guitar is as good if not better than any of the guitars I currently own including American fenders, PRS, G&L etc. I would not hesitate to use this guitar for the basis of upgrading electronics as the neck, body, bridge and tuners are as good as most guitars. I did not like the stock pickups/electronics so that would be something to consider changing.
    ww2navyman
    Have two with whammy bars that I purchased for my children nearly 8 years ago. They were and are played regularly by my son and daughter, with me on my T60 from the late 70's. The S101's don't overshadow my Peavey, but can be called upon to take on lead without a change in dynamics. Worth far more than their pricetags, it is no BS that these ARE very well made and great sounding for far less than most pay for an equal player.