S102 HSS review by Drive

Drive: S102 HSS

Purchased from: Friend

Man this guitar is build for rock. I'm playing it through a Crate FXT120 212 and a Marshall full stack. The tone is just unbelievable for the price. I can't get over it. The pickups aren't too noisy but sometimes there is a little bit of a buzz from them.

I play rock, metal, and some prog-rock and this guitar is well suited for it. I'm not sure what kind of pickups it has but they are pretty good. I am still thinking of buying new ones though. I've been playing for nearly 4 years now and I am amazed at the quality of this guitar. A good $50 well spent in my opinion. If this guitar was stolen from me I would probably buy another.

I have used this guitar several times at gigs. It's not my main guitar but I use it for its amazing clean sound. I regularly use my Gibson Explorer w/EMG 81's and 85's, but the clean on this blows my Gibson out of the water. And this guitar cost less than $100! I've used this guitar without a backup before and it was great. Only problem is sometimes the strap holders get really loose so I put a bigger screw in it and haven't have a problem since.

I don't know how well it was set up to begin with since I bought it from a friend but he said that he had to lower the bridge a little to fit his style of playing and he also changed the strings because he likes Elixers better than the factory brand. Oh and the bridge pickup is a little loose. I'm not sure its supposed to be like that.

I'm pretty sure this guitar was made in 2003. It was manufactured in China which I admit I was a little skeptical about at first. The body is cutaway and the color is sunburst. I'm not sure about the pickups but I'm almost positive this one came with an active pickup! I'm serious. I could talk through the bridge pickup and my voice would actually come out of my amp. A lot of distortion is required for that I might mention.