Airline 2P DLX review by Eastwood

Eastwood: Airline 2P DLX

Purchased from: My Rare Guitars.com

Everyone will recognize this as the "White Stripes" guitar, and if you're looking for that nasty Jack White tone, this is the guitar for you. Despite not being made of shitty fiberglass and sporting MUCH better pickups and electronics than the original Valco models from the 1960's, the tone is instantly recognizable. I play it through a 2004 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe tube amplifier and play through a Boss distortion pedal and a Little Big Muff and this thing screams. But as soon as you turn off the effect, it goes from sounding like a gritty Les Paul to a Rickenbacker in a flash. I bought this to get a Jack White sound, but I got even more, as this is probably the most versitile axe that I own (even more so than my 1973 Fender Strat and my Epiphone Dot). To get an idea of how this guitar sounds like, head to www.eastwoodguitars.com where you can hear sound samples of it through different amps.

I play mainly rock, punk, and blues, but dabble in just about everything else. And despite Jack White being the only famous musician playing one of these guitars, more people need to pick this one up. I've been playing for the better part of a decade and this is the best axe I've ever played, and I own over a dozen guitars, ranging from Rickenbackers and Vintage Fenders to Danelectros and Epiphones. I'd be heartbroken if something were to happen to this Airline, and I would buy another one in the blink of a heartbeat. Hell, I'm already looking at buying another one of Eastwood's remakes of classic guitars (especially the Brian May "Red Special"). Buy this guitar. Metal, blues, punk, rock, it works with all of them. You certainly won't regret it.

After gigging all throughout the month of January, as well as long recording sessions, this thing has held up remarkably well, even after being dropped more than a few times, and even surviving a particularily nasty encounter with a bottle of Corona that was spilled on it during rehearsal. Since purchasing it, I have made it my permanant Live guitar, effectively retiring my Danelectro, my Rickenbacker, and my Epiphone Dot. I was particularily impressed with the strap buttons, as this is the first time ever that I bought a guitar and didn't need to replace them for being shitty.

I ordered this guitar directly from the Eastwood factory, which I don't normally do, as I prefer a more "broken-in" guitar than one straight out of the box. But to my absolute shock, as soon as I reached into the box and pulled it out, and strummed a chord, the guitar was actually in tune. Despite travelling from Ontario Canada, all the way to New Jersey, the neck was perfectly straight, the action of the strings were just right, and not a scratch on it. Needless to say, I was amazed. Just two days after receiving it, I debuted it at my band's show at the Sin-e' rock club in NYC, and it stole the show, and kept it's tune better than any guitar I've previously played. My only (minor) complaint: I had originally asked for a seafoam green finish, and they informed me that they were out of stock on that color for the next few weeks, so I bought red instead. That's it.

- Tone Chambered Mahogany body - Bound maple, bolt-on neck - Rosewood, block markers fingerboard - Scale Length: 25 1/2" (648mm) - Width at Nut: 1 11/16" - Pickups: Two Alnico Hot-10 Humbuckers - Switching: 3-Way - Controls: 2 Volume, 2 Tone, 1 Master Volume - Bridge: Tune-O-Matic, Custom Chrome Tail - Hardware: Vintage Kluson Style Nickel/Chrome - Strings: D'Addario #10 - Unique features: Custom Chrome tailpiece, Raised Metal AIRLINE Logo

oyvind
    kaptink
    The7thAutumn wrote: actually Jack white plays a montgomery ward airline that he bought from Jack Oblivian of the oblivians
    His has the neck p-up removed too I think.
    lefthandman9876
    thewho65 wrote: I'm pretty sure Jack White still has the neck pickup in it. I love the sound of those single coils, though the Eastwood model has humbuckers.
    hes got two, one really old one with no neck pup or pots and another nicer one that was given to him by a fan
    CaptainWow
    Gibson_Rocker13 wrote: i read in guitar player(and saw) that the eastwood modle hastwo models; a two and a three pickup model which one do you own?
    This model is two-pickup. The three-pup model is the 3P DLX.
    thewho65
    Crazytrain_8201
    This guitar is simply awesome...If i had the $ i'd so buy one of the 3 pickups sunburst...it would be awesome :p
    Gibson_Rocker13
    The7thAutumn
    Chris1000
    I have this guitar and it's feccin' awesome. Gigged last night and it was the only one i took cos i had so muich confidence in it. Buy one - buy one now!
    nehpets5555
    ^ sorry bout that, but rory gallagher actually had one, didnt use it much live but he did own one
    nehpets5555
    oyvind wrote: [quote]And despite Jack White being the only famous musician playing one of these guitars, more people need to pick this one up./quote] That is actually not entirely correct, the guitarist of Crowded House uses one too, and if my memory serves me right that's the same exact guitar that Jack White owns today.
    jincasa
    i played the guitar at a music store once and wow, this thing kicks so much ass. its an original design for anybody who wants a signature guitar, however, me personally wouldnt use it simply cause jack white has it, and its reconized as his signature.
    Payne86
    The pickups on this guitar are actually single-coil modeled to look like humbuckers (Valco originally made them that way). IT's nice if you want to add humbuckers in the future, but I love the single-coil sound.