Blaster E6 review by Encore

Encore: Blaster E6

Purchased from: Amazon.co.uk

My style is hard rock & metal, & suprizingly this guitar suits it quite well. The sound of the pickups is what you would probably expect from a Stratocaster, bright & a little quacky, especially from the bridge pickup. I play in a band & we play alot of our own material, so I don't play many covers, though what I do play is usually alot of Queens of the Stone Age, some CKY, Rob Zombie & Nine Inch Nails. My setups consists of a Boss OC-3 Super Octave -> Boss MT-2 Metal Zone -> Belcat Overdrive -> Behringer Chorus CD 400 -> Behringer EQ 700, all mounted on a Behringer PB 1000 Pedal board, usually going into a Marshall MG102FX (& no, I don't like it either, it's a friends, it's loud so I'll take it). I find this guitar very versatile in both clean & distorted tones. On clean, I only really use the bridge & neck pickup together (I swapped out the middle & neck pickup, personall preference). The sound is very full but still bright, the fullness coming from the neck pickup. It sounds good on its own & even better with a dash of chorus & some EQ tweaking. Stomping on the MT-2, I get a generic metal tone with the extra brightness from the single coils. They're fairly quiet on their own, no real 60cycle hum, & when there's the reverse wound pickup on aswell it's noiseless. With the Belcat you can get the slightly driven cleans to the thick punk overdrive & anything inbetween. I'm yet to find a genre this guitar doesn't do well.

I believe if this guitar had a decent humbucker in the bridge this guitar would be pretty much perfect for what I play, & through the three years I've been playing guitar I've chose this guitar to play in my band over my other guitar, an Epiphone Custom Prophecy, complete with EMG's because of the "souless" sound I find it has because of the active electronics. It's not a bad guitar, it's great & I will soon have a use for it since it reacts better with more effects but it doesn't really do cleans well at all. If it was stolen, I'd probably cry at little since it is my baby, then get my Epiphone & detune that to use for a while till I get some cash for a replacement. My only wish is that the gear it came with was of similar Standard to the guitar, the amp was horrible & died around a year ago, the lead & strap lasted a month, the strap at one of the points eroded away soo fast that at the end of the month, the guitar was being held by the thread that goes around the strap point. It was that bad. Thankfully, the guitar isn't & I will continue to use it & I would reccommend at least trying out an E6 if you want to enter the wonderful world of guitaring.

I play this guitar live & have done for the past 6 months & it's done nothing but work flawlessly everytime. The hardware has no issues yet, the tuners stay in tune, even with some vibrato from the bridge, but I have done some big dive bombs & had to retune, every time, so I don't do huge ammounts of whammy. I am still using the original strap pins, however both fell out of the body in the first year, so I've used the toothpick trick to keep them in. The durability of the finish was ok, nothing special. I've dropped it on the road once because the crap gig bag that came with the guitar broke, the zip was on the bottom of the bag & that failed, so the guitar fell right through & onto the pavement. Now there's some nice dents & missing pieces of finish on the bottom exposing the Wutong body. I don't really care about that though, since soon I will be sanding the body down & repainting it. Mechanically however, this guitar is yet to fail me & I doubt it ever will.

From the factory the action was a little high from my liking, so over the 3 years I've owned it I've adjusted the saddles, places neck shims & recently sanded a couple of frets to get it exactly how I like. There's still a small ammount of fret buzz, but it's nothing big. I've messed with the pickup height simply cause I could & I wanted to experiment, but they were fine to begin with. The finish is a glossy black & there's was nothing wrong with it, didn't see any blemishes or transit damage. Everything was fitted fine.

My Encore is a 2007 model, since I bought it at christmas 2007. It is your typical Stratocaster copy, made in China. These are the specs. -Wutong Body -Maple neck, Rosewood fretboard, 22 frets with overhang -5 way selector switch -Two tone pots, one master volume, probably 250k -3 GuitarTech single coil pickups -Unbranded tuners -Unbranded Vintage style tremolo Since this guitar was in a pack, it also came with a strap, a spare set of Encore 9's, a 15watt BB Blaster amp & probably some sort of guitar teaching dvd. It was supposed to come with some guitar picks, but there were never there. Shame...

moose1512
    MegadethFan18
    Unless you have played this guitar you opinion and comments are void.
    flyingmarlin
    MegadethFan18 wrote: moose1512 wrote: and 8 for an encore with unbranded pickups on sound quality....and saying that there isnt a genre this guitar cant do well is naive' or just ignorent. Nothing personal, im not trying to be a dick, the fact you give the action and finish a 7, when you had to sand the frets, lower the action, saddles, and neck all needed adjusting and STILL get buzz? thats not a 7/10, durability and reliability, you say it goes out of tune EVERY time you whammy but thats still a 8/10? the strap pins fell off also..your scores are way to high, compared to all guitars they are laughably high, compared to similar costing guitars they are still pushing it. Youve basically said how you neeed to change 80% of it before its anygood... Unless you have played this guitar you opinion and comments are void.
    Well he does raise a very good point, this guitar does not deserve the score it's getting. I understand your view point but let's face the facts, this is a basic starter guitar pack. It wont score more than a 5 on anything. Especially when the author has stated the amount of work needed to bring it up to spec and the fact that it's falling apart already.
    primus182
    I bought my guitar 1300$ and I give her 8/10... cmon guy, its not the same league. however for a rookie its a good guitar
    Linkerman
    primus182 wrote: however for a rookie its a good guitar
    This isn't a good guitar. Not even for a rookie. The Encore E6 is an awful guitar. A couple years ago, a local store run by a friend of mine ordered a bunch of these starter packs. When they have new gear arriving, my friend always invites me to check out the gear with him before displaying it to the public. We opened a pack. Tried the guitar through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Horrid guitar. We opened a second pack. Tried it. Another crappy guitar. We opened a third pack. Tried it. Same result. He gave up, kept a couple of packs to sell to gear newbies, and returned the rest of them. Even considering the price range, it can't hold a candle to a Squier Affinity Strat or Tele, for example.
    MikeMenace
    I think you have to ask yourself thyis, would say Dave Gilmour use one of these? ...Probably not. Would Eric Clapton use one of these? nope. So you can't say there is nothing that this guitar can handle. OKay so a first guitar for a COMPLETE brginner then maybe but anything beyond that level I really do not think this guitar would cut the nmustard. Sorry to be negative mate.
    zakarai
    Quite a failed review? It's not even good for a rookie guitar? If you were going to get a guitar for a beginner, get a squire strat or look as schecters.
    Im_Broken
    you make me angry thsi guy likes it it isnt your huitar. **** up lol. you guys are rubbish