E1BTR review by Encore

• Reviewer's score: 2 Junky
Encore: E1BTR

Purchased from: Argos Catalogue

Wouldnt suit any style as far as I'm concerned, I can play a wide range of sounds from shredding, metal to blues and maybe even slightly jazzy. The amp that came with it is awful, and you get an awful interfered sound on clean channel, and I suppose a quite gutsy overdrive if you whack the gain up to 10, but really I wouldn't recommend any clean playing with it at all. Guitar makes one sound, crunch. Believe me I tried to get something clean, never happened.

I play a generally metal/blues style, the crunch is ok I suppose but it's still not a good enough match for me. I've been playing for nearly 3 (maybe 4, can't remember) years and I have a guitar pack you can actually rely on, Strat Frontman pack, also bought a Zoom G2.1u effects pedal, which rules. As it wasn't my guitar, I can't really comment on asking anyone else, but I really wish theyd asked me before wasting 70 quid. If it were be stolen I'd hold a party to celebrate. I don't love anything about that guitar, and hate everything about it. My favourite feature is probably the neck, because if you sanded the frets and gave the fingerboard a proper finish it could go on a better junior guitar, but it would be cheaper to just buy a fingerboard on it's own. I compare it to my own Strat (another pack) and the Encore doesnt't deserve to be on the same planet as the Strat. I wish the Encore had been put together properly, then it might have made a half decent beginner guitar.

This guitar wouldn't withstand a practice in your room, let alone a live session. The hardware was falling apart when I got it, and the bottom strap button has fallen off. Yes you can depend on it to be an ornament, but I'd still keep an eye on it then. The finish needs constant cleaning so I wouldn't be surprised if it came off in the first week.

Was the guitar set up at the factory? This is a beginner guitar, and to be honest, you'd need a brain experienced with guitars to set this up when you got it home. I'll leave out the pickup, I think they just shoved into the body and left it. And now my real complaint: the action was too high, the strings and frets shredded your fingers, the tremolo was way too stiff, there was string buzz on nearly every string, you couldn't play chords with it, You couldnt shred with it, You could barely fret a note, The tuning keys were loose, It wouldn't stay in tune, it's just too bad for words.

To be honest I don't know when this guitar was made, but I do know it was made in China (the label fell of pretty quick), it was a guitar that my girlfriends little sister purchased in a guitar pack, and it's arguably the worst guitar I have ever set eyes on. it's got a bolt on neck, with 21 thin frets (this is a 7/8 size guitar by the way), the frets aren't finished either, so be careful you don't shred your fingers on them, Vintage style bridge with tremolo, the body is composite, maple neck with rosewood fingerboard, the body type is a sort of stratty shape, with passive (definitely passive) pickups (when I say pickups I mean one rubbish humbucker), chrome tuning keys that came loose, only two controls, volume and tone (point please), this came with all the normal beginner stuff, and I think it was a 1 watt travel amp.

Bongofdestiny
    My friend owns this guitar and it kinda digs into you when you're playing it and the action is absolutley awful - you can barley play a chord. I can't really think of anything good to say about it sorry encore.
    hazacooper
    bandituk
    hazacooper wrote: In my opinion its a good guitar for a first time player for about a year or so, but like other reviewers said after a while parts such as the jack input and strap holders come loose. Then again, what do you expect for under a 100? As a beginners guitar I'd give it 7/10
    I agree. My Encore goes out of tune easily so within 6 months, I bought a Westfield LP copy from a mate and am well pleased. It's handy for occasions like when a guitar-playing mate is visiting so we can have a wee jam together OR as a back-up to the Westfield. As a beginner's guitar that cost 40, it's not the best, but it's not the worst. You get what you pay for in the end. I'd give it a 7/10 also. Ian
    Sean Duffy
    Well I have this guitar, I got it when I was a beginner and I still have it now. To be honest, I really like it, I like the general feel of the neck and the action is perfect, I hate it on the squire strats and stuff when you can't even palm mute properly because the strings are almost touching the pickups. Nothing has ever came loose on mine or broke, and it stays in tune almost all the time. Yes, it's only a beginners guitar and i'll be getting a new one soon, but I think it does it's job very well.
    nuclearganon
    This guitar is shit. It took me ages to save up for it, and then when I got it I realised how bad a mistake I made and I am now saving up for an esp/ LTD EX 50, which is a very good guitar.