E99 review by Encore

Encore: E99

Purchased from: spectrum music

I mainly play hard rock and blues and I use a crappy Washburn 15w practice amp, but that said I have a Marshall Bluesbreaker distortion pedal to beef it up and it does sound rather nice. On the other hand if its just the guitar and the amp it sounds okay but doesn't have much sustain or beef to the distortion. But this could be changed by installing better pickups and buying a better amp etc. When I plug this guitar into the Marshall amp I have at school it does perform a hell of a lot better and no pedals or effects are needed. Also the variety of tone you can get from this guitar is very good if your into a variety of sound.

Overall if your just starting out and can't afford a cheap Fender like me and you want to buy a decent first guitar that you will fall in love with then I definatly advise you to invest in one of these, it might have its flaws but its brilliant for beginers and will do you proud. If I lost it or it got stolen I would look for a better guitar but that's only because it was a cheap beginer. But I love the clean and distorted tone I get even with a poor amp, the only thing I wish is that it was a little better made, but apart from that its been a dream to play and I'm proud to have it.

I have done two gigs with this axe, and the first time it went ridiculously out of tune half way through a song which was my fault as I put a new set of strings on a few days before and didn't stretch them in, that's because it was my first gig and I have a lack of experience. The second time however made me fall in love with it, stayed in tune brilliantly and played great. I would defiantly use this guitar live but with a back up. The hardware seems like it would last forever no problems with that at all (apart from the input jack I mentioned). The finish seems as if it would last a lifetime but I take care of this guitar incredibly well.

I bought this guitar from my local music shop second hand as I've not been playing for long but that said, the only problems I have had is that the action was way to high for me, which was easily fixed, and the input jack always comes loose at some point no matter how much I fix it, but it doesnt't make that much difference. I don't have a set up on the guitar its all pretty standard and in my eyes plays well, the only thing is that if your into playing fast then the finish on the neck can slow you down at bit, its not the fastest of neck out there but it still feels nice to play.

This guitar was made in China in (I'm guessing) 2010. It has 22 jumbo frets, rosewood fingerboard, classic chunky Les Paul style neck, mine has a red sunburst finish. Body style is a single cutaway like what you would expect with a Les Paul type guitar, tune-o-matic bridge, passive pickups which are really weak in my opinion, two volume two tone knobs.

x.artur
    I have one in black with set neck. It weights 3,8 kg. The finish is poor and scratch easy... It need extra care. The pickups have low output but i like the clear tone. In overdrive mode pickups tend to loose definition on the midlle of the spectrum. I plan to replace them with "zebras". Anyway in both modes sustain is good. The setup came very good and the action is low. The fretboard is Ok ... I have to oil it ... No fret buzz ... But the rosewood and frets insertions on the neck could have better quality and finish. Overall a nice guitar and a honest product for the price... But I wont buy it again.