E99 Review

8,744
reviews (3) pictures (2) 12 comments vote for this gear:
E99 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 23, 2012

Purchased from: spectrum music

Features: This guitar was made in China in (I'm guessing) 2010. It has 22 jumbo frets, rosewood fingerboard, classic chunky Les Paul style neck, mine has a red sunburst finish. Body style is a single cutaway like what you would expect with a Les Paul type guitar, tune-o-matic bridge, passive pickups which are really weak in my opinion, two volume two tone knobs. // 7

Sound: I mainly play hard rock and blues and I use a crappy Washburn 15w practice amp, but that said I have a Marshall Bluesbreaker distortion pedal to beef it up and it does sound rather nice. On the other hand if its just the guitar and the amp it sounds okay but doesn't have much sustain or beef to the distortion. But this could be changed by installing better pickups and buying a better amp etc. When I plug this guitar into the Marshall amp I have at school it does perform a hell of a lot better and no pedals or effects are needed. Also the variety of tone you can get from this guitar is very good if your into a variety of sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar from my local music shop second hand as I've not been playing for long but that said, the only problems I have had is that the action was way to high for me, which was easily fixed, and the input jack always comes loose at some point no matter how much I fix it, but it doesnt't make that much difference. I don't have a set up on the guitar its all pretty standard and in my eyes plays well, the only thing is that if your into playing fast then the finish on the neck can slow you down at bit, its not the fastest of neck out there but it still feels nice to play. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have done two gigs with this axe, and the first time it went ridiculously out of tune half way through a song which was my fault as I put a new set of strings on a few days before and didn't stretch them in, that's because it was my first gig and I have a lack of experience. The second time however made me fall in love with it, stayed in tune brilliantly and played great. I would defiantly use this guitar live but with a back up. The hardware seems like it would last forever no problems with that at all (apart from the input jack I mentioned). The finish seems as if it would last a lifetime but I take care of this guitar incredibly well. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall if your just starting out and can't afford a cheap Fender like me and you want to buy a decent first guitar that you will fall in love with then I definatly advise you to invest in one of these, it might have its flaws but its brilliant for beginers and will do you proud. If I lost it or it got stolen I would look for a better guitar but that's only because it was a cheap beginer. But I love the clean and distorted tone I get even with a poor amp, the only thing I wish is that it was a little better made, but apart from that its been a dream to play and I'm proud to have it. // 8

E99 Reviewed by: AmongForgotten1, on november 01, 2010

Features: I got this as my first electric guitar and it is my only one at the moment. It was made 2006/7 in England. The fretboard is made from rosewood and has 22 standerd size frets and a neck length of 24.75 inches. The body is mahogany and the neck is bolt on, also mahogany. The overall shape of the body is a Les Paul, which gives excellent access to the top frets and in typical fashion, it has a Tune-O-matic bridge with detachable stop bar. There are 2 naked humbuckers with a tone and volume each. The selector is a standard Gibson 3-way switch. This Encore guitar came in a pack with 2x plectrums, a 5 foot lead, strap, 10 watt BB10 amplifier, gig bag and instructional DVD. // 9

Sound: I play a variety of musical styles, from Paramore style emo rock to Avenged Sevenfold, and even A7x's heavier riffs are greedily gobbled up by the humbuckers. They are extremely versatile only having a tiny problem trying to get that "clean" sound, because of the natural distortion. I have used it on two amps, wich are the one supplied and my friends eastcoast 20 watt, and it still souned good. I have 1 effect pedal (Behinger Super Metal) and I have it set to a searing high sustain on higher strings and a crunchey full Bring Me The Horizon style low end notes. I've also tryed it through a synth pedal that I can't remember the name of and it just shouted out 'Living On A Prayer' all over. Put the tone and treble up, Switch to the bridge, play some chords and you will like the warn classic sound it produces. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came out of the box and all that was needed was a quick tune and it was ready to play. Even the trussrod was fine and didn't need adjusting, unlike some guitars. The action was fine and the intonation was spot on. The pick ups were set up correctly straight away and all I've done was highten the neck pick up to make it louder. Out of the box there was only the top nut that needed loosening. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Ahhhh... This guitars downfall. It isn't the best build quality in the world and I know there's worse, but after so much good, it seems like the worst thing in the world. After about 1/2 a year the top strap button began to work loose, up to the point where I've had to seal it with masking tape. Then the rate wich it goues through strings. About a month back I put some Ernie Ball Regular Slinkeys 10 guage and I have all ready lost the A, D and high E srtings. I wouldn't recommend it as a live guitar, even with a back up. Wich is annoying because I'm playing a battle of the bands in early December. // 3

Overall Impression: I think this is a good guitar and it could be excellent if they sorted out the little niggles. I think I would save this guitar because it would sound amazing recorded, although if it was lost or stolen, I think I would get a different guitar. At this price it is a steal aswell. // 8

E99 Reviewed by: GRENGINE, on november 07, 2011

Purchased from: ASM Music

Features: 2010 made in China probably but not sure, pick ups designed by Trev Wilkinson so might cause confusion for some as to where is's made. As AmongForgtten1 has mentioned it's a Les Paul affair with all the standard hardwear, mine being a nice sunburst finish which is rather fetching. Rosewood fretboard, pearl dot inlays, fake binding but no neck binding. Mine came with gig bag and strap that the owner of the shop threw in for free. // 7

Sound: It's not a Gibson, that's for sure but it does growl when asked to and plays nice cleans, I would say an Epiphone is better but if I were to buy one I would rather save and buy a Gibson that being said I play classic rock and progressive metal through a Peavey Trans Tube Solo, no effects used as I like to hear what an amp and guitar can do on their own, it does the job and as it's only a bedroom guitar the sounds I get are decent enough for what I can play. It is a quiet guitar and handles most things ok so no problems there. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is spot on, no fret buzz anywhere, the pick ups I left alone but I may raise one a bit the bridge pick up seems a little down, not a lot but the volume is not as loud as the neck, the rest of the guitar is nice for the price paid, the only drawback being the input jack was a bit loose but once tightened it seems ok. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Can't say about live playing but I am going to a studio soon to let rip but to be honest if I were any better than I am now I would not gig with it, the strap buttons seem ok and I do sway about when playing but I just don't think it would cut it soundwise, its an ok guitar and the finish is very nice and I hope it's durable but only time will tell. // 6

Overall Impression: Well classic rock its good for, bad company, zeppelin, free. I like prog as well so it will do that but I am not that good to really tell if it will stand up to all sorts genres, I play a Brunswick BF200 acoustic that I mainly practice on and if that were stolen I would definitely get another but if the Encore was trashed or stolen it wouldn't break my heart, I was looking for a cheap guitar with humbuckers which is what this is, it sounds nice and I don't dislike it in fact I would keep just to look at it but I already want a better guitar because I'm getting better and although it's not holding me back we all want that taste of what a better guitar and amp has to offer. // 7

Comments