KC3 review by Encore

Encore: KC3

Purchased from: Music Room

I play a lot of Chili Peppers and Muse, but the single-coil pickups can't really get that crunchy distorted sound for the heavier Muse songs. I sometimes play Sum 41 and other punk rock stuff just for fun, and I can't really get a reasonable punk tone either. But it's good at the funk tones, I can play very nice sounding Chili Peppers, and the range of the guitar is good for its price. My amp helps a lot in the sound area. The worst thing about the guitar is the input - the connection isn't good and the wire often crackles. This is very irritating.

For the styles I play, this is a good guitar. I could probably have done with a more advanced guitar, since I've been playing about two years, but this one was given to me with staff discount so that suited me fine. I don't play heavy metal or anything so the single-coil pickups are good for me. If it were stolen I wouldn't buy it again, simply because there are better cheap guitars out there. The best thing is the finish, and the selector Switch which I find very handy. The worst thing is the crackly input. Obviously it doesn't quite compare with an Ibanez, but it does the job.

This is NOT a guitar for live playing! I have only used it once, at a school concert and I was the one that let it down by dropping it. However, the huge crash it made didn't actually make it go out of tune and the paintwork didn't chip at all. Very impressed. The finish is thick and well polished.

The set-up seemed ok. The action is a little low but I'm not fussy. I couldn't find any flaws when I set it up, but I'm not experienced in this area. The worst thing as I have said is the crackly input, but this has only just begun to happen after about four months of use.

This is basically a cheap Strat copy, a starter guitar but a good starter guitar. It's got a five-way selector Switch, two tone pots and a volume pot. There's also a tremolo arm and 21 frets, I think the fretboard is Rosewood. The body is highly polished and the grain of the wood really shows through which is a classy touch, I'm not sure what the wood is though. My model is purple and hasn't chipped yet, although I am careful with it. There are three single-coil pick-ups. The tuning pegs are the worst part - they slip, especially on the g and b strings, which is annoying to say the least. I got this with a BB Blaster amp, quite a good little 10 watt practice amp with a distortion button, and I can get nice tones out of it.