KC3 review by Encore

Encore: KC3

Purchased from: eBay

I started off mainly playing punk rock kinda stuff, started with easier bands and this guitar totally suited them, then I slowly tried harder things and it was fine with them. The sound wasn't the best I've heard, but good enough for a beginner's guitar. I use it with a Kustom KGA10FX amp, which isn't too bad a combination. With the amp the guitar can make a wide range of sounds reasonably well, just takes a bit of fiddling with some knobs.

This was my first guitar and I got it last christmas, so I've only been playing about half a year, but yeah, I found this guitar fine for starting up on, it did the job I suppose you could say. But if I wanted to start playing at gigs and stuff I would rather get a better guitar. The main thing I liked was the look of it, the thru red and pearl' plate do look pretty cool. If it were lost I would probably get a better guitar, kind of obvious because I'm considering doing so anyway. But as a beginner just starting up, this guitar with the pack I got would be just fine for them, an overall good beginners (possibly intermediate too) guitar really.

The guitar has lasted well for the last 7 months or so, but I've only ever used it for practicing. I doubt it would be great for live playing, I would consider buying a new guitar before starting live playing, but for just practicing as a beginner I found it lasted and worked well. It seems like it would last, as it has, but I would just like a nicer guitar before starting to play live.

The guitar came in good condition, the only problems I had are that the strap nut needed tightening and the scratch plate had a slight up-peeling at the bottom of the jack plate, but nothing major so it was fine. The rest was good and worked well when tuned etc.

My first ever guitar and it did the job really, I got the KC3 starter Strat Pack with Kuston amp, gig bag, tuner, and everything you need really. The pack overall wasn't bad value for money imo. The guitar itself is the thru red (dark red and you can see the wood grain through it, looks pretty cool) and has a pearlescent plate. 22 frets, enough for me. Thin neck which I like, easier to use. The ordinary 3 pickups. Volume and tone controls, 3-way selector.