KC3 review by Encore

• Reviewer's score: 4.5 Poor
Encore: KC3

Purchased from: Steel City Guitars

This is a begginner guitar through and through. For the first month it sounded great but when the second and third months came around I started to notice a number of flaws. Firstly, when distorted and played through the bridge pickup, the low E string simply gets lost when played open. This makes the guitar poor for punk style music. Naturally this dissapointed me, since I basically bought the guitar to play Green Day songs. Secondly, the strings buzz so much it is absolutly unreal. At first I thought this was something present on all electic guitars, but I've since found otherwise. Because of the problem with the top string, on the whole the guitar will not sound right when attempting alternative tunings (drop D or C or something), with the exception of flat, which works fine.

I play punk mainly, and this is not a punk guitar. I've been playing nearly a year and was my first guitar. If I was a begginner again, I'd pay the extra 50quid for a Fender Squier. The sound quality is so much better. I don't really like this guitar and I only play it because I cannot afford anything better right now. It's well made and looks good but sounds very dissapointing. If this guitar where stolen, I'd send the theif a bunch of flowers and use the insurance money to buy something a lot better.

This guitar would not stand up to a live show because of the sound flaws I have already mentioned. No reason why it couldn't leave a gig in one piece if you really had to play it though. Either way, I'd recommend playing sitting down because the strap buttons are to small meaning that the strap ends will unthread themselves frequently. The finish will not wear off through play alone, you'd have to go out of your way to damage it.

The guitar is hard to play. The action is very high. Bar chords can be done, but you'll find that you may actually pierce your flesh when you finger one on new strings. Athetically, the guitar was faultless. I have been a little clumsy with it at times, but even taking this into consideration the guitar looks almost new. It is a nice solid instrument. The volume knob is fading a little, but I expect that this happens with even the most expensive guitars.