KC3 review by Encore

• Reviewer's score: 4.6 Poor
Encore: KC3

Purchased from: Ioannou Music Center

I had this guitar just to mess about on for about a 2 years, but over the last 18 months, I've been playing this to max because of my sudden growth of interest in punk, Indie and rock music and my band. I used to just use this with a Kustom KGA10 amp that I got with the guitar, then I got a Marshall MG15 CDR amp, then I got a Zoom G1X, which has made the sound a bit better. Over the last 8 months, a really bad buzzing sound has started happening when I play (it's loud enough to cancel out my playing) and I have to jam a piece of paper or something under the volume knob to stop it. Despite the bad quality of sound, it can produce both warm and clean sounds with ease. All I have to do is flick the pickup switch or adjust one of the tone knobs. Now my musical taste is growing, I'm getting and Epiphone Les Paul to suit my other musical tastes.

I play punk, indie and alternative rock (and a lot of Red Hot Chili Peppers) so it's great for punk and RHCP but not so great for other stuff. I would never buy this guitar again unless it was the last guitar left on earth. I like the distorted sound on this a lot more than other Strat copies, but the clean sound isn't very good. I didn't really get a choice in choosing this guitar because it was the only guitar for a decent price and it was one of the only one that came with and amp. I would strongly advise you not to buy this guitar, even if you are a beginner if you are going to take guitar playing seriously.

This guitar will withstand Live playing, but it's wearing out now and I don't think it will last much longer. The strap buttons are practically falling off now, so I wouldn't use this guitar without a backup anymore (I was pretty lucky not to be caught out by it previously). I have dropped it quite a lot in it's life, and it only has a few dents that are not too big.

I can't remember how good the factory setup was when I got it because I was only 10 and I hardly knew anything about guitars then. I do know that I haven't changed it that much since I got it, but there's horrible fret buzz on the 6th, 5th and 4th strings on the 12th fret and above. The guitar came in sunburst finish and the volume knob was slightly loose.

I got this guitar in 2003 and it was bought with a Kustom KGA10 amp, gig bag, cable, picks, strap and a tuner. I have no idea where it was made, but because it is so rubbish, it was probably made by slaves in the Amazon. I think it's made of mahogany that's been laminated and has a string-thru body. It's a Strat style guitar, with all the Standard features of an SSS Stratocaster, 1 volume knob, 2 tone knobs and a 5-way pickup switch. It has a single coil pick-up at the bridge, middle and neck position. The tuners seem ok, but that's probably because I haven't played many other electric guitars.

jett18
    This guitar is crap i have one at the mo and the tuning is really bad im thinking about customising it so the tuning is better
    j-boy199
    christ getting this guitar was one of the worst things i could of possibly done. But luckily its gone now,i bought an epi les paul special 2 and smashed the piece of crap called encore to pieces
    UNPREDICTABLE
    j-boy199 : define this guitar in one word SHIT enough said
    You don't really expect to get much from a gutar package for 200 so relevent to it's price is fairly good. Ive had mine for almost a year and for beginners its not bad. It's also lighter than my other guitars which makes it more sutable for younger players. Fact: It is not a good guitar but for 100 on it's own its a good peice of equipment.