KC3 review by Encore

• Reviewer's score: 5.8 Decent
Encore: KC3

Purchased from: Argos

For the price there is some OK tone here but nothing to write home about, I mean it is a beginner's guitar. The single coils are cheap and tacky and make quite a loud hiss through a distorted amp. Flicking the pickup switch up a notch weilds a much bluesey and classic rock tone witch I think this guitar would suite (If anything). The sound of the bridge pickup is too muddy and I don't use it, while the middle is OK but still a slight hiss though. I am not a big fan of single coils at best although this is the only example I have ever had.

I now own a Jackson Warrior but before I had that I had this and an acoustic and BB Blaster amp. I am gonna keep this one as it was my first guitar. I play anything from classic rock to some death metal and this guitar cannot cover everything but it does have some nice tones in there. For a beginner on a buget I recommend this model or something simmilar, but don't expect it to sound like a real Fender.

The paintwork is now looking old (I've had it 6 years) and tattered. I havn't really looked after this guitar well to be honest but I do think the paintwork is a little cheap, but again what do you expect. I wouldn't play this thing live but I would consider it as a backup if I customised it with a humbucker of some kind. The neck, frets and fingerboard are all fine so carn't be all bad as well as the electronics.

When I got this guitar I don't think it was set up well as I remmember, the action was too high and the jack output was loose. No biggy I know but it was my first guitar so I thought it was at the time. The pickups were adequately setup when I got it although later on I hightened them up a bit.

I am not sure when or where this model was made maybe China or somewhere like that. This guitar is quite playable with a Strat style body, 21 frets on a maple neck and a Rosewood fretboard. There's a standard tremolo unit but I don't use it because it sends it badly out of tune. As for controls you get two tone and one volume knob and a five-way selector switch for the 3 single coil pickups. The hardware looks to be die-cast and the finish is just black with a white stratch-plate. This guitar came in a package with a Kustom 10 Watt amp, strap, pick and a video. Not bad for beginners nice package.

Badmotorfever
    i've had this for 2 years and now almost 8 months. although it has tuning problems, its pretty good. I've gigged it twice, and with the help of a Vox AC30 and a Boss ME50, it sounds pretty good. So its not the most expensive thing out there...i like it. I'm saving up for a Jag but this thing will probably stay as my bash around guitar.
    amonfire
    is my first electric guitar i got it free but the guitar itself wud have cost 100 pounds and i have had no tuning probs wat so ever and i did a gig it stayed in tune i didnt have to tune it anytime in a few weeeks and the sound i get from my yamaha amp is good so tbh its a good guitar
    tenack
    i got this guitar in a begginer kit it is crap u have to tune it every 5 seconds i dont need it any more though it was good when i first begun struming
    samisabig1
    Fact: It is not a good guitar but for 100 on it's own its a good peice of equipment
    you cud have bought a gould strat copy for 90. its a much nicer guitar and not just for beginners. theyv stopped making the originals now and hav replaced them with cheaper lighter ones
    forwhomthebells
    This guitar is good for beginners i must say. I still quite enjoy playing this now i started off with an Encore classical guitar and then this and am hopefully getting an Epiphone Les Paul Gothic (hopefully soon) anyways as i say its good for the price and begginers but if you take the guitar seriously you MUST Upgrade soon! Oh yeah the bit where you put the wire comes loose so i had to tighteen it (but that doesnt happen till its 2 years and a few months old) So yeah have fun. It is good for playing live. (but just little shows like a little school talent show where there just around 60/70 people cos i played live there i played (foot Tapper by the Shadows) SO yeah bye
    forwhomthebells
    Oh yeah i forgot to say i have been playing for 3 years (started when i was 13 and i am 16 now) and i mean So yeah bye* So yeah buy.