KC3 review by Encore

• Reviewer's score: 4.2 Poor
Encore: KC3

Purchased from: Internet

To be fair, this guitar has good sustain, the strings are of a low quality. The amp is just about ok but nothing special. My main complaint is the large hum coming from the amp, and it worsens when it is on overdrive mode and when it is attached to the instrument, there is little in the way of shielding in this guitar so no wonder there is so much hum. My style of music is classical, blues, rock and metal and it can do some blues, Brit pop and just about make Hard Rock, and the pickups are fuzzy.

In conclusion, I would only recommend this instrument for beginners who are learning to find out what is wrong with the guitar and how to set it up correctly. I have been playing for four years now and to be honest this guitar was close to being a complete joke if it weren't for the solid as hell basswood body and that it has good sustain. I would not know if I would be upset or not if it was stolen (being that it is the first electric guitar in the household) but I would not get it again, and it is not being made anymore (as the model in Encore's range has been replaced by the E6 Blaster for good reason). The guitar is a great base for practicing modding, in the past week of the time of writing, it has been modded with DiMarzio Air Classic (neck), X2N (bridge) humbuckers and Seymour Duncan SSL-7 (mid) I got on the cheap on e-bay along with other mod cons and I am now satisfied with it. So get it if you want to practice on setting up a guitar, learning to mod or need a cheap mod base but if you are an absolute beginner, avoid and go with Encore's Blaster series (I heard from someone that they are a decent beginners guitar).

The hardware has not lasted, the electrics cut off when the instrument is held at certain angles which shows the shoddy quality of the electrics. But as I said earlier, this guitar is near as indestructible as guitars go, I accidentally dropped it when taking it upstairs and it survived, if the electrics were of a better quality and the electronics workmanship was better, I would take it on a gig, but not with the amp it came with.

I am disappointed in the set up, the action was too low, the truss rod was too tight, I had to adjust everything before I was satisfied, but these should have been done before going out of the factory. Despite this, the guitar body finish itself looks respectable on the outside but my disappointment lowers the score considerably.

The KC3 is a Strat style electric guitar, this is my brothers first guitar he had in the year 2000 in which he hasn't used in years, it has three unbranded single coil pickups, a neck that was set up badly with 22 fat frets and cheap as hell machine heads, one volume and two tone controls, a five way selector switch, a Floyd Rose vibrato and a body that I believe is basswood but solid as a brick sh-thouse. The electrics didn't last long as at certain angles, the electrics cut out. I took this guitar apart to find frayed wires, it is like Encore's factory in China did not care for the safety of the player or not. The pots are 500k with Green Polyester Film Capacitors which is rated at 47000pf which was unnecessary, I was expecting to find 250k pots since it is a SSS equipped guitar. The body itself was routed in a HSH configuration and there was a broken piece of plastic in the neck pocket for some reason (this caused the strings to have an extremely low action at the bottom of the neck that caused freat buzzes). The guitar itself came with a bag, cable and an average solid state amp by "Kustom".

WelshKes
    evileenz wrote: This was the first guitar I got.It was given to me as a present but at least it's a guitar to practice luthier skills on.better to rip apart a cheapo than an expensive guitar to learn how to solder pups etc
    I must say, I did the same, my Dimarzio humbuckers and S.D. pickup I got on the cheap on eBay, I modded the pickguard and a few extras (Serial, single, parallel switch, phase, treble bleed and Varitone) and even though it is me doing experiments, it turned out a lot better than I expected. I also forgot to say in my review that I found a feather inside the cavity of the guitar, was this assembled in a chicken farm?
    WelshKes
    I would like to make a correction to my review, that the body is not Basswood as guessed but is MFD, which I am feeling disappointed - the neck however is maple wood and rosewood freatboard - so I am now cannabalising the neck, trem and pickguard and I am getting a mahogany strat body.