P29 review by Encore

• Reviewer's score: 6.4 Neat
Encore: P29

Purchased from: eBay

My style varies alot, but mainly I do punk and metal. The guitar is very versetile with its sound and suits me well, as it sounds nice and chunky when distorted but is nice clean too. I'm using a Cruiser Crafter amp and a RP50 digital effects modeller with it. The sound is rich and full and quite noisy.

this guitar matches my kind of music well (punk and metal) I have been playing 2 months and don't actually own any other guitars except a classical accoustic. If it were stolen or lost I would track down the thief and make him pay, but if I couldn't I would by an Epiphone G-310 ot G-400.

I think the guitar would withstand live playing now I have modified it, but it wouldn't as it was from the factory, I don't thikn the hardware will last but this is a guitar aimmed at a beginner like myself who will be getting a new guitar as soon as they can afford it so this probably won't matter. The strap buttons are solid, but I fitted one myself so I'd expect it to be. I would use it for a gig without a backup but only because I can't afford a backup. I think the finish will last as that is pone area of the guitar that is uniform.

The finish is not very good. The guitar was flawed when I got it and I had to do quite a bit of work on it, there was only one strap button meaning I had to fit an extra one, one of the wires leading away from the pickups was snapped meaning I had to solder it back because it wouldn't work the way it was. the neck does not fit into the body very well as there is a gap. The nut on the jack socket comes loose occasionally and as does the nut on the scratchplate.

It is a Les Paul Copy in black, it was made in Korea and has 22 jumbo frets, it has a laminated top I think. I'm not sure what wood the body is made out of on the Encore website it just says 'solid wood' which I guess means its some not very well known stuff, but it is clearly all right because it's nice and heavy and provides a good sound. It's a shiny black finish and is a Les Paul, it has a Tune-O-Matic bridge, with two humbucker pickups. Controls are, two tone controls, two volume controls and a 3-way pickup selector. It came with an amp and a strap and a gig bag.