P29 review by Encore

• Reviewer's score: 4 Poor
Encore: P29

Purchased from: Northern Guitars

I genrally play most types of rock, and I plays OK with most fo them, however when it comes to heavyer stuff it fails dramaticly, I am uding it iwth a watson 10w amp and it stil manages to produce loads of noise on gain. However it is verg good when it comes to blues, jazz, and more modern non-distorted rock.

I play all rock, it is a good mtach for these, until you get into distortion then it fails. I have been playing 1 and a half yrs I also own a Yamaha Pacifica and it outcalsses it everywhere. I wish I had tested it on distortion in the shop as that would have made me chose maybe a more heavy metal kind of guitar for a few more quid. If it were stolen or lost I would probably go for a Les Paul immatation, I wish it had better quality pickups and locking tuners.

This guitar will definatly not withstand live playing the strap buttons are too loose and the sound is of a quality too low, I woudln't trust this hardware to last due to the tone knobs already being broken. I wouldn't even take it to a gig, not even as a backup because of the problems highlighted.

The action was a little high although that was easilly fixed, I do not feel the need to adjust the pickups.

This is my first guitar, an Encore KC3 in semi-transparent purple (a dark purple almost maroon), Strat shape, made in China in about 1999. I do not know what wood the body is in the specs it just says solid wood? The neck is maple with rosewood fretboard. As I said before it is transparent purple finish and start style with a traditional tremlo bridge. It has one volume two tone (although they no longer work) with a 5-way selector. It has three single coil pickups. I would like to see locking tuners however they are not here so it goes out of tune nearly instantly. With it I got a case (soft) a strap a cable and a plectrum however I did not buy it as part of a starter set.

Vasheesht
    payed for: 131(exc deleivery)(with whole suite) Features: 10/10 Well it has all features every les paul has, the pickupes are just 2 open coils, I could change to a humbucker and a P90 from gibson if I had money, but other than that its great, the amp that came with it is perfect for it so it makes it very good. Action Fit and Finish: 10/10 Well mine was the blacker than black model so with the others they usually where found flawed and damaged easily, but mine had a different kind of finish which I loved. The fretboard was nice and smooth so it was easy to slide. Realiability and Durability: 8/10 Most of it was fine but the tuning keys go out of tune sometimes in the middle of a song, the 5th fret on the top string was a bit fuzzy but im not sure if it was the string or fret. and the knobs sometimes screw out of place. Impression: 10/10 I love this guitar, I almost cant wish for I gibson, if I wanted it to be better, all I need is some fret pattern things, a scratchplate/pickguard, a p90 gibson pickup, and a humbucker, and a few design stickers. So if you want a guitar for less than 300 that is realiable, all it needs is a few adjustments less than 100 and maybe a bit of personal touch, screw gibson, and epiphone. This one rules. (only the blacker than black one).