P29 review by Encore

• Reviewer's score: 6.4 Neat
Encore: P29

Purchased from: friend

I didn't find the sound too bad. I am using it with a Fender princeton 650DSP amp, and can get some really thick rock sounds. The bridge pickup (in my experience) is better for chunky rhythm sounds and the neck pickup is better for creamy leads. This is a pretty versatile guitar, but it always has that les paul thickness to the sound, and is not as versatile as my Stratocaster. The pickups are fairly cheap, and produce nowhere near the sound quality of the Epiphone or Gibson les pauls.

This is a fairly average low end guitar overall. It has faults, the pickups are fairly weak, the hardware isn't that good and the finish is poor but that it just low priced guitars in general. I cannot complain as I only paid 30 for this guitar, and have been suitably impressed at how good it is. I just needed something with humbuckers to give the fat sound now and again that my Stratocaster cannot. I would recommend this to people, it is just a reasonable, cheap guitar!

I wouldn't use this guitar Live because I have much better guitars. I think that I would stand it, but the pickup sinking described above is a problem. The hardware would last but I would have to put some straplocks on it for a bit of extra security. I would never use it without a backup, but I would never use my 700 Fender without a backup either! You can never predict when a problem will occur so it's always best to carry a spare. The finish isn't particularly good, but I like the fact it has a beaten up look to it, so this isn't a problem for me.

I cannot comment on the factory setup, as I bought it second hand. It had a fairly low action on it when it came to me, and I found the setup quite good for myself and my playing style. It had plenty of chips and scratches that come from years of use. I wouldn't say the finish is especially strong, but I have had many guitars that dent and scratch a lot easier then this. I love the way it is worn in now. The frets do seem to wear very easily though. Though this guitar is less than 10 years old, the frets have become very worn. I can only assume this is either because they are not exactly good quality or that it has had a lot of use over the years. I have had problems, however, with the pickups. The bridge pickup simply will not stop sinking into the body despite my best efforts (replacing screws, springs, etc), which is a problem for me. When the pickup is sunk into the body, it is extremly weak and will not produce anywhere near as much volume as the neck pickup.

As all the other reviews say, this is a Les Paul Copy, with all the same features of the original- twin humbuckers, two volume, two tone, three way selector Switch. It has wood I presume to be rosewood for the neck, with a plywood body and a solid wood top (presumably a cheap wood like agathis or similar). It has chrome hardware and a black finish. I'm not sure what year this was made, because I purchased it from a friend, Who had bought it second hand around 4 years ago.

belavista man
    Personally, I wouldn't buy it, but Encore's are good for beginners. Why buy a 1000 Gibson or Fender when you're starting out, cus you're not gonna be certain that you'd enjoy playing guitar. That would be a waste of money.
    paul1991
    I have one of these I would give it 10/10 for begginers like myself but as a guitar against everything else I would give it about 5/10 ish