1957 Les Paul Junior review by Epiphone

Epiphone: 1957 Les Paul Junior

Purchased from: Gak.co.uk

This guitar is exactly the right style for me. I play a lot of Green Day so I need that P90 sound. The P-100 can go from very mellow acousic tone to punchy punk tone. I run this guitar through a Vox Valvetronix but I have played on a Marshall AVT275X and gives pretty much the same tone throughout. There is not as much variety due to the one pickup but you will be suprised.

This guitar is an exact match to what I needed, I couldn't afford the Gibson alternative so I went for closest replica. I have been playing for 2 1/2 years, and have a collection of: A Squier Stratocaster, Epiphone Les Paul Standard, Yamaha Pacifica, Epiphone Les Paul Junior 1957 reissue and a Squier Precision bass. I own a Vox valvetronix amp which I run my guitars through. If it were stolen / lost, would you buy it again or get something else? Hell yeah I would deffinatly buy another, but due to limited edition it might be a bit hard to find. What do you love about it? What do you hate? Love everything on it, just a shame it hasn't got Gibson written at the top! I don't hate anything on the guitar but the bridge gets some getting used to. Did you compare it to other products? Yes, a Gibson SG Special in wine red. I chose this over the special because it costs less and if I buy a Gibson SG it will be a standard. I will highly recommend this guitar to someone Who has always wanted a Les Paul Junior but Who can't afford the hefty price tag for a Gibson.

Will this guitar withstand Live playing? I'm pretty sure it will, although I've only had it for a month or so and have not gigged with it. It has preformed very reliable at sessions. The hardware (grover rotomatics) should last as they have been reliable on my Les Paul Standard. The strap buttons were replaced with straplocks but were solid when I got it out of the box for a jam. I'm pretty sure I could depend on it, but if it fails I use my Les Paul Standard. The finish on this guitar is fairly thick but not too thick as if you can't see the finish underneath. The finish seems to fair well to the few knocks I've gave it.

Bang in tune when I got it out the box, and the action was top notch. The pickups were at the correct height and it's unlikly I will be adjusting it. There was no flaws on this guitar but a litle bit of wet pain was smudged on the headstock, this was easily touched out. The knobs were slightly loose when I got it but because I was changing the knobs to Gold speed knobs it was kind of handy.

My Les Paul Junior is one of the limited Edition 1957 reissue versions. It was made in february 2006 at the Deawon plant in china. My version has 22 Frets, which are all fantastically finished. The Epiphone les paul's have a varient of 50'-60's neck. The fingerboard on it is made of rosewood with dot style fret markers. The body is flat is a one single piece of Mahogany (tonewood). The neck is also made of Mahogany. The finish is poly coated. The bridge on this guitar is a wraparound, the bridge and the tailstop are as one piece. The simplicity of this guitar is that there are no selector switches to knock while playing, so there is just the tone and volume knobs.There is one pickup in 1957 reissue, it is the Epiphone P-100. The tuners that are used are Grover Rotomatics.I got a poor plastic lead that lasted a couple of sessions then broke.

alfiebradic
    Hi, I own the gibson version and love it, i really apreciate this guitar cause, unlike the standard epiphone junior, this guitar actually has a P100...the other one just has a humbucker which defeats the object of having a junior...
    jellyhead
    alfiebradic this guitar does also have a humbucker though, meaning it still pushes aside the point in having a junior
    Darren5591
    Jellyhead, The P-100 pickup was designed to be the same size as a P-90, and to fit in the same cover as a P-90, but it is a humbucking pickup and not a single coil pickup like a P-90. The P-100 is often referred to as a Vintage Vertical pickup because it is capable of producing a very warm, vintage humbucking sound. What you are saying is true, but the pickup is very similar to the p90. The P-100 has slightly less high frequency response than a P-90, but much more so than a conventional side-by-side humbucker