1957 Les Paul Junior review by Epiphone

Epiphone: 1957 Les Paul Junior

Purchased from: Rock'n'Rhythm Tenn.

I usually play roots blues, old and new school rock, trip rock and a bit of swing and folk. Surprising how many sounds are available through my Tech 21 TM60(s) and my old Crate Vintage 30. Lots of sparkle and jangly stuff or turn up the volume with the tone about 90% and scorch the paint off the walls. Some 'buckers will turn green. Little bit of noise but dang, it's an old style single coil, folks. Nice super funky scream and moan when you want it - and the body tight-neck combo give it really decent sustain!

No, it's not a set neck $9000.00 Gibson. Crap,that's all I've paid for all my guitars combined. It is a pretty cheap guitar but I get Good offers for it all the time must be that TV yellow thang. I'd be mad as hell if someone ripped this off or the airlines lost it. It's kind of like a good old pair of jeans or boots. I ain't sellin'!

This has seen a lot of action in ten or twelve years - shows the Standard road wear but fit/finish/action have been solid. Never had strap button problems some mentioned - mine came fitted with oversize buttons. I have before and would again, use it without a back up. Nothing to break - too simple!

I had to tweak the neck, file the fret ends, replace the cheap tuners (with Grovers, of course - for the right look), and adjust the Bridge - but this turned out to be a Killer instrument. Simple, rugged volume and tone pots hooked to a surprisingly sweet & gnarly P90. The semi translucent finish is rock hard and well applied. The neck had the same - too slick for me, but a bit of rubbing with a medium steel wool gave it the grip I like.

Super cool double cutaway, TV yellow, black P90, black controls, black two-ply pickguard. Made in Korea 1998. I had to pay up front and then wait 6 months to get the advertised "available" color. Laminated alder body, bolt-on mahogany neck, super snug neck pocket. Tone & volume knobs, wrap-around compensated steel bridge, cheap epi tuners though.. wide-shallow C shaped neck, unbound rosewood fingerboard with meth med-jumbo frets. 'bout as simple as it gets.

seand768
    does anyone know where i can get one of these for about 125 ive been searching ebay for going on 4 months and their either the crappy bolt on necks or there 250-300
    DrewMeyer
    No offense to anyone, but I don't think this guitar is that great. Based on experience with Epiphone solidbodies, especially ones with p-90s, they don't really sound good. Unless you get a really good one like a custom, or the 56 gold top it doesn't sound that good, imo. Anyways, play on.
    57tvjr
    Got me wondering ...so I took the pick up out of the Junior and compared it to the P90 from my old '62 Gibson ES125. Except for the insulation on the hook-up wires and the aged colors of the solder - the construction is identical (didn't count the windings though) mine is definitely a single coil, dog eared P90.