1957 Les Paul Junior review by Epiphone

Epiphone: 1957 Les Paul Junior

Purchased from: A classmate

My guitar is the 1957 Reissue Les Paul, Jr. It was built in January 2006 at the Daewon Plant in China. The neck is set into the body and both the body and the neck are solid mahogany and the fingerboard is rosewood. The body has a tobacco burst finish and the neck is black. The bridge is a wrap around type with adjustable nuts. It has the P-100 humbucking pickup (which I love) which is good for any kind of music: from classic '50s blues to '80s thrash metal to today's alternative rock. It has grover tuners and they work beautifully. I rarely ever have a tuning problem. The $200 I paid included the guitar, a 10W 1x12 Crate combo amp with overdrive, and a 10ft cable.

My playing style is a combination of Tom Morello DJ emulations, James Hetfield riffs, and Kirk Hammett solos (I'm still learning the third thing). I have pedals similar to what Tom Morello has (Dunlop Original Wah, DigiTech Whammy 4, Boss TR-2 Tremolo, Boss DD-3 Digital Delay, and MXR M-101 Phase 90). This setup has allowed me to experiment with various riffs and techniques and helped me discover who I am as an artist. I've had my '57 Junior for five years now and it still meets my every expectation in a guitar.

The setup is perfect, the pickup is adjusted just right, and the only real flaw I had was when it started creating more noise than music, but all I had to do was replace the jack and clean the pots and she was good as new. I also had issues with the strap buttons, but I took care of that problem. Aside from that and the usual wear and tear, there's nothing wrong with this guitar. I especially like the P-100 pickup. It's got more guts than the P-90 ever will (sorry P-90 lovers. It's the truth). It's perfect for playing Metallica speed riffs and solos as well as most Rage Against The Machine solos.

I haven't played this guitar in public since May 2013 cuz I've never really had the opportunity. But it played beautifully then and it still does si I'm confident it'll last for many years. I did have issues with one of the strap buttons, but I replaced both of them with strap locks and I haven't had any issues with those. The finish is spot on and I know I could count on it any time I need it (assuming I don't break any strings).

I mostly play heavy metal and rap metal, and my '57 Junior is my main guitar for songs that don't require a kill switch and/or a whammy bar. I've played guitar off and on since I was 5, but I didn't take it seriously until I was 14. That's when I got my first electric guitar (which was a blue crescent strat) and I got my '57 Junior the following year. As of now, along with the pedals I mentioned earlier, I have a Crate half stack setup. As for the guitar itself, I absolutely love it. There's really nothing to hate about it.