1958 Korina Explorer review by Epiphone

Epiphone: 1958 Korina Explorer

Purchased from: Dawsons Music

I'm a lead guitarist in a british punk band and among the other guys's cold, steely sounding Jackson guitars this guitars warm tone gives a lovely bit of class to our sound. At highs and lows it delivers a great warm tone. The only fault I can find with it is that while the Jackson guitars are built for full overdrive and cut out all background buzz, it's just a bit of an embarrassing moment when I plug into the amp the other guitarist is using and mine is the only one that buzzes. The buzz isnt loud, it's just present.

Though I'm part of a mainly punk band, I play mostly guitar based american rock like Black Sabbath and ACDC. This guitar suits that perfectly. It has very warm sleek tones. My band amp is a beefy Fender one and I can get a great tone out of that for classic rock with the gain just at about 7 or 8ish depending how angry I am. I compared it to a Jackson kelly, an epi SG and one of the cheapest Gibson les pauls. I took this one because it's so easy to play, I accustomed to it in seconds without having to point it up and have the lead digging into my knee like most design guitars it just felt as though it had been made for someone to play. I'm thinking of replacing the humbuckers with better quality ones to get rid of the buzz.

This guitar is one of the most reliably solid and great sounding guitars I've ever played. I'm'always banging it on doorways and stuff and not even a scratch yet. I would definitely use it would it ithout a back up. The strap buttons are at slightly wierd angles so straplocks are essential.

This guitar was all perfectly set up straight out of the shop. The pickups were at a perfect level straight away and ready for action. There were no major flaws other than the strings were extremely stiff for the first few bends but they soon slackened into a perfect amount of tension.

Made in India according to a label behind the headstock, this guitar has 23 medium frets, marked with Dot inlays. The fingerboard is dark rosewood, which gives it a classy look and feel. The shape of the Explorer is perfect for me because it gives all (if not more) of the classic style of a V guitar without the fact that you can't really sit down and play v guitars in relative comfort. It is a very showy guitar but it's also incredibly easy to play sitting down as your arm just rests on the upper bout. There are is a volume pick up for each humbucker and a tone knob. It came completely alone when I got it and had to pay an additional 60 quid for a gig bag that would fit it.