1958 Korina Explorer review by Epiphone

Epiphone: 1958 Korina Explorer

Price paid: C$ 299

I find that it has fairly good cleans, pretty sweet crunchy tones, and surprisingly amazing metal tones, although the neck pickup is fairly useless, since I mostly play lead and always use the Bridge pickup for that extra bite. I'm using this guitar through a Peavey Vypyr 30W (The Plxi channel on clean) with a Behringer Ultra Metal UM300 distortion pedal, and a GarageTone Axle Grease delay pedal. In my honest opinion, the guitar has a very nice, rich, full sound, but that could also depend on the equipment you're using.

I play mostly metal, or rock, and I find it to be quite a great match. I've been playing just under a year and a half (self taught). If this guitar were lost or stolen, I would: A) Cry, B) Hunt down the bastard that did it and kill him. I love the shape, the feel, and the weight, but what I do hate is that you can't make love to it. My favorite feature has to be the shape.

I definitely think that this guitar can be used for a live gig, without a backup. The hardware seems fairly good, but I might be changing out everything (just my personal choice. Turning it into a gothic style guitar, EMG 85/81, Grover tuners, black hardware, etc). I switched out the strap buttons with some strap locks, just so the strap doesn't slip off.

Well, when I got it I fixed it up myself, so it was just a new set of strings that it needed, and a little bit of cleaning, but other than that, it was pretty great. Loved playing it and I couldn't stop.

I got it last summer from my friend, and I have no idea what year it was made, but I do know that it was made in Korea. - Colors: Available in Black or Natural. - Pick Ups: 2 Humbucking Pickups (Alnico Classic in the neck, and Alnico Classic Plus in the bridge). - Body: Kornia. - Neck: Mahogany. - Fingerboard: Rosewood. - Number of Frets: 22. - Scale Length: 24 inches. - Neck Type: Set Neck - Dot Inlays - Tune-O-Matic Bridge - Stop Tailpiece - Gold Hardware - White Pickguard - Gold Key Tuners - Gold Top Hat Knobs - 2 Volume Controls - 1 Tone Control - 3-way Pickup Selector Switch

Garettharri
    I own this guitar and it is a great one. I love the feel of the guitar, but for me, it kind of rests funny. It wants to fall with the neck. I think if you move the top strap knob to the middle of the back part of the neck then it will sit funny. When i got mine the neck pickup has better tone then the bridge pickup. But I love this guitar. Makes any rookie guitar player look like a Rock Star!
    barnesybaby
    @lastfree7: I don't know if this is mentioned above (I'm too lazy to check all the comments) but Black Sabbath are English too so the guy who wrote the original message failed twice