1963 Firebird VII review by Epiphone

Epiphone: 1963 Firebird VII

Purchased from: ebay

It really suits my music style since I play mostly Skynyrd. Any Skynyrd fan should know that Allen Collins, my idol played a Firebird too. But his was a Gibson Firebird III with a P-90 at the bridge. I usually use it with a 200 watt Crate amp with all them effects on it. I can make this guitar sound like everythang from a Les Paul to a piece of crap Tele. I hate Tele's. But really. This things got a awsome range with its three pickups. I usually use the bridge one by itself. You gotta turn the other volume knobs all the way down but I dont care. That's why I use my Les Paul on songs like Saturday Night Special where Gary uses the neck humbucker during the solos.

Like I said I play mostly Skynyrd and some CCR & Allman Bros. and this is a perfect match for most of it. Cause I can make it sound like Skynyrd for Free Bird and Switch the Switch and sound like CCR. I been playin for about 1 and a half years. I got a Epi Les Paul 100 with pickup covers I put on it. It just made it look a lot cleaner. Well if it was stolen or lost, I couldnt buy it again cause it would be stole or lost, but I'd probably save up about 5 or 6 grand and look gor a Gibson Firebird III. I love the whammy bar on it. If you've ever played a Strat with its crappy little whammy bar, this un will blow you away. Ok, I hade Fenders. There, I said it. I compared it to a Epi SG. But ii just thought I was gettin more for my money with this one. The only thing I wish it had was one a them like flat whammy bars like on a Firebird III. And like on Allen Collin's Explorer. I found a Gibson one on ebay for like 10 grand or somethin. I didnt get it.

It has and will withstand live playin. The hardware seems like its made to last for quite a while and well. I hope it does. Solidist strap buttons I ever seen. I dunno if I would take it to a gig without my trusty ole Les Paul but I know I can depend on it. The finish is somethin else. On the back where its got that little thick part runnin through the middle, it's really easy to chip off on your belt buckle so I dunno. But the rest is alright.

Well I didn't get the guitar from the factory. It was a factory second because them japs must not know how to sorder wires on all the way so we had to do that. The pick ups was a little high so I lowered 'em. That was all that was wrong with it when I got it except for it bein outta tune.

This guitar was made in 2005 I guess. It was made in China, like every other thing in the USA. It has 22 frets and a rosewood fretboard. I thank the body is maple. the finish is like a bright red color which I aint to crazy about, I wish it was that Vintage sunburst color they got. The body style is like the Gibson Firebird VII, they just slapped the Epiphone name on it. It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge and a Lyre Vibrola tailpiece. It has a 3 way pickup selector which aint really no good cause you gotta use the volume knobs more than anything. It's got 3 Gibson mini humbuckers. They sound just like regular humbuckers, which I like. It's got Grover tuners that kinda stick outta the bottom of the headstock. I wish it had banjo tuners like the Gibson models. its also got a set neck.

§tratocaster
    595Metallica595 wrote: rulebreaker, hes trying to say the guitar sucks... dude just chill out and dont correct anyone on grammer
    you forgot two fu cking apostrophes.
    Smitty101
    hahahaha... it seems that everyone's grammer is bad on here. And that is a nice guitar!
    joeyb
    that is one sik ass axe, them pickups look seriously hot, wold get one of these any day, ive been lookin for a vintage/classical tone lately and have recently got an american strat. Anyways, nice axe.
    Justice_Fish
    voice310 wrote: I have 3 Gibson Firebird VII's .. one cherry wood grain and all gold hardware, another coffee sunburst and another copper. All of them are tremendous ... I can see why Johnny Winter and Eric Clapton use them. Just saw Johnny using one in January 2006 ... tremendous! I have one of the Epi's Firebird VII's in sunburst with gold hardware and it's not too bad ... p.ups are hot enough and the fretboard is a bit different from the pure Gibsons, but that's ok ... it has a bit of uniqueness of its own. The headstock tuners go down instead of back which is conventional, but it's a nice change. Otherwise, other than the Gibson Les Paul recording models (I have 3 of these), it is the closest to the Strat (if you want it to be). They will only increase in value if you hold on to them. Check out ebay and just see. If you do have an Epi Firebird VII, save up for the Gibson one too ... you just won't regret it. On stage, if you are reduced to 2 axes only, well, if you take up a Gibson Firebird VII and a Strat with Texas specials ... you won't have to worry about a thing guys. All the best to you Firebird users. stivi
    The Firebird, for me, is the coolest guitar ex-aeequo with the Explorer, the V and the Les Paul.
    BobMarleysGhost
    How can anyone say this guitar looks shit? It is the sexiest looking guitar i have ever seen. Almost as sexy as me, come to think of it...
    Tedward
    that guitar is beautiful, what else can i say? you guys are idiots if u think it is ugly. but the icemans are nicer.
    BobMarleysGhost
    As I said before, it's a great looking guitar, but as I looked around for one, I heard that they are notoriously difficult to play. Is this true, or is it just some guy who hates the look of it trying to put me off?
    JacksMyHero
    this guitar looks awesome, like something jack white would play, only its not made by someone no one's heard of