1963 Firebird VII review by Epiphone

Epiphone: 1963 Firebird VII

I play a lot of blues, classic rock, rock n roll, and some metal now and then. This axe, when suited with my Fender FM 212R, is beautiful, has great tone, and is nice and bassy to my content. The pickups can kick some major ass. This guitar can scream or sing and everywhere in between. It is not noisy at all and can compliment any amp setting. You won't have much luck playing any death metal, but lighter metal bands are very easy to mimic.

I bought this guitar because I needed a bluesy guitar with the abbility to be cranked up and scream. So far, it's been perfect for everything. I believe this guitar is out of production and I haven't seen in at any online stores, so I'm very happy I got it before demand sored up. If I lost this baby or if it were stolen, I would kill the person Who stole it, take his guitar, and then take mine back. I love this axe and I will never get rid of it. The quality and tone is incredible and the only flaw would be the large size, but you get used to it within two days of playing. I compared this to an Epiphone G400 Custom, an Epiphone Dot, and an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. I could only get the Les Paul for a much higher price as the only shop that had it with them was ripping me off, I decided that the Epiphone Dot wasn't as vercitile as I wanted at the time, and I could never find the G400 Custom anywhere so that I could compare them side-by-side. The next guitar I'll get will be the G400 Custom if I can aquire it. There is nothing missing from this beautiful beast.

I can be positive this axe can do any show. I would definately use it in a gig without a backup. All the hardware is solid and set very nicely. The straplocks insure no dropping so I'm sure nothing bad will ever happen. The finish looks terrific and doesn't seem like it will ever wear off.

Mine was used, and it looked like the owner before me tried to fiddle with the action because there was buzzing everywhere. The pickups are just fine, however. In some areas, I can see that the paint did not fully cover, so you can see the wood slightly (especially near corners and such). There were also some black marks on the body and the humbuckers looked like they'd been smeared with some oily fingers and I can't manage to get it off. There were no scratches, however. There is nothing that I would return the guitar for.

This guitar was probably made in 2005, as I got it used in 2006. It has 22 frets with a mahogany body and a rosewood fretboard. I got mine in red with gold hardware. The body is the same thing as the Gibson Firebird VII, except the Gibson's neck is much bigger and heavier. It has an ABR bridge with tremelo and a Lyre Vibrola tailpeace. There are three Alcino-V mini humbuckers, three volume controls, one tone control, a three-way tone selector, and Grover tuners. Strap locks were preinstalled on mine, which are a necesity because of the weight. My case came seperately for $65.

westo
    Obviously, this is a guitar you either love or hate. I love it!
    westo
    BobMarleysGhost wrote: As I said before, it's a great looking guitar, but as I looked around for one, I heard that they are notoriously difficult to play. Is this true, or is it just some guy who hates the look of it trying to put me off?
    they aren't hard to play at all. see if you can try one out at a shop. I can see how it can be hard to change from a les paul to this, but it is honestly not that hard to do.