1965 G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: 1965 G-400

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

This guitar is good for classic rock mostly. My 15 watt Fender amp holds this guitar's potential back. An amp suitable for it would have to be a Marshall. It has smooth tone on rhythm but on treble it has a bit of a bite to it.

This guitar is good because I mostly play AC/DC, but green day sounds decent on it too. I really shouldn't have a guitar this good yet because I can't play very good yet. I've only been playing for 4 months but whatever. This guitar is perfect for me. Since it is longer than most guitars it suits my long stick arms perfectly. the wider neck is good for my twig fingers too. There is only one thing I wish it had and that is neck binding. No Epiphone SG's have neck binding except for the Vintage G-400. If you want an SG but don't have enough money for and american Gibson model, go with a Korean made Gibson, Epiphone.

I'm not in a band and have only been playin for about 4 months. I hope to use it when I join a band and can play it decently. The chrome hardware will last if you take care of it and clean it with some polish every month or two. The finish seems it will last because the ding under the tremolo didn't penetrate the finish.

The action came perfect, better than a Strat. No buzzing is the main thing I'm glad it doesn't have. There were only a couple flaws in the finish. There was a scratch at the 7th fret on the side of the neck where the dot inlay is. There was also a ding under the tremolo which isn't seen unless you are looking at it real close.

This guitar was a limited edition custom shop from Korea made in late 2005. It has 22 frets on the rosewood fretboard. The body and neck are mahogany, and it has a set neck, which I like. The only color it came in was cherry. The Tune-O-Matic bridge is nice instead of the string-thru body on my Strat. The pickups on it are Alnico classics which are decent but I'm looking to upgrade them to Gibson's in a year or two. The chrome Grover tuners are better than the plastic ones in my opinion. It came with an angled cable in case you only had a straight one.