1965 G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: 1965 G-400

Purchased from: MusiciansFriend

This guitar is pretty much all around. you can play almost anything. I use a Fender practice amp. I am thinking of buying a Marshall MG100DFX and an MG412 slant cab to go along with it so I'll be able to play gigs with my band when we learn a few songs. Our drummer doesn't have his drums yet so we can't exactly play anything yet. I play lead guitar and my friend who plays rhythm needs to get a new guitar because he has a First Act and a new amp.

I play old school rock like AC/DC, some Green Day, Nirvana, and some Metallica. I've been play for about 7 to 8 months. I use Slinky Strings and Fender picks. I just ordered some Ice Pix to try them out, but I don't know what to expect. If this guitar were stolen or lost, I would buy something better, especially since you can't buy this guitar anywhere now because it is discontinued. My favorite feature is probably the neck because you can go to the higher frets easily and the neck is smooth. I wish it had binding, better pickups, and a regular bridge.

I haven't played live yet with this because I need to either get a backup or use this as a backup. I would really like to upgrade to a Gibson SG Standard or an ESP LTD M-1000 Deluxe because it has an Original Floyd Rose and EMGs. Iv'e accidentally hit my G-400 against different things and I didn't notice anything, not even a scratch. The strap buttons are decent. I tried Dunlop straplocks and there were pieces missing or something because it said they can withstand 800 pounds of pull and I could pull the strap off with two fingers. My hardware is a little scratched up but that's just normal wear.

It was well set up when I took it out of the box. The pickups are in the perfect position. I switched my string to some Slinky Rock N' Roll .09 to .42 gauges and they can be bent more and buzz more than Brite Wires. I had to change the setting to get rid of the buzzing. I recommend that You get these strings because they are easier on the fingers. Brite Wires are just a waste of money. I used them and the 1st string would go out of tune about 3 weeks after I changed the strings and when I went to tune it again it would fly right off. now that I have Slinkys they haven't popped off yet.

This guitar is a limited edition custom shop Epi. It's the first SG that Epi put a tremolo on. I took the tremolo bar off because I hate how it causes your guitar to go out of tune very quickly. It has the usual 22 frets. it would be nice if it had a 24-fret bound neck. It's pure mahogany wood. It has a glossy cherry paint job that you can see the wood grain through. I really don't like the bridge because the first string will go insanely out of tune and then pop off for no reason when I try to tune it again. It's happened to me 3 times already now. It has the usual Alnico V humbuckers that Epi puts on it's better quality guitars. The chrome Grover kidney bean tuners are easy to tune with and hold tune pretty well. It comes with an angled case if you were wondering, but mine went bad after about 6 months and I had to get another one cause it isn't a good idea to use a straight cable for this guitar.