1965 G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: 1965 G-400

Purchased from: Music Planet

I love how this guitar is able to handle all types of music. I play a very wide range of music and it can handle soft rock to heavy metal and thrash, although its great with classic hard rock like AC/DC etc. The rhythm pick-up gives a great thick bassy rhythm tone whilst in the treble position you get a bright clear tone. I'm playing through a Line 6 15w spider III, which I know kind of kills the tone of a guitar, but I regularly play it through a Marshall 100w and it sounds pretty good.

I have been playing since 2007 and its my second electric guitar after a beginners Ashton. I Bought it in mid 2009 and when I first saw this guitar I knew I had to have it. At the time I was really into AC/DC (which I still am) and I bought the guitar partially because of this. I now play heaps of thrash and heavy metal along with the classic rock and AC/DC but it can still handle the heavy stuff, and I still love playing it and wouldn't be able to bring myself to part with it on my own accord. I chose this over other SGs for its uniqueness (as it is the only one I have ever seen in NZ and iv only heard of one other for sale in NZ a few years back) and how awesome the maestro tremolo looks. If it were stolen I would hunt down the person who stole it with vengeance, but failing that I don't really know what I'd get, maybe something with EMGs or something a bit more "thrash metal".

Although some have said that because of the tremolo it goes out of tune really easily, I havn't had this problem as mine seems to stay in tune even after hours of playing. The chrome hardware has lasted this far and I intend on it lasting longer as its pretty easy to give it the occasional clean to stop corrosion and keep it looking good. I haven't play any serious live gigs with it but I'm pretty certain it will hold up although I don't think I would play any serious gigs without a back up guitar. I'v put a few small scratches and marks in it but the finish is pretty good as it has a strong layer of lacquer covering it. Besides the Tune-O-Matic bridge, all the other hardware is still holding up excellently.

The action is pretty good although I did lower it a bit, but when I did this got fret buzz in a couple of places. I also tightened the truss rod in the neck to straighten it out a bit (although this was after about 8 months of playing). I have had a bit of a problem with the Tune-O-Matic bridge, its a a bit loose and rattly and the saddles move round a bit but I'm looking to replace the bridge. Besides this were no flaws when I bought it.

I bought this guitar in mid 2009. This SG is an Epiphone G-400 1965 with the meastro tremolo and features the "Epiphone Limited Edition Custom Shop" stamp on the back of the headstock. It has 22 frets on a rosewood fretboard with a set mahogany neck and solid mahogany body. It also has alnico v humbuckers with seperate volume and gain control for each, 3 way selector switch, grover tuners which hold very well, maestro tremolo which is engraved with Epiphone and a motif of what appears to be harp, Tune-O-Matic bridge and chrome hardware. The Guitar is finished in a transparent cherry red which allows you to see the grain of the mahogany through the paint. The fact that is an SG means that you have full access to the fretboard all the way up to the 22nd fret which makes it really easy to solo up high on the neck. The one minor thing that I would of liked though would have been binding on the neck but this really isn't a big deal.