1966 G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: 1966 G-400

I play a somewhat broad range of music, from classic rock to metal to punk and jazz and so on. I did an A/B with this and a Gibson SG Standard and the differences were subtle. This sound was kind of darker than the Gibson, but can produce a nice treble-y, bight sound with the tone rolled up. It sounds great for hard rock like AC/DC, Guns N' Roses, or Van Halen. It can also Switch from that bright tone to a nice mellow jazz tone on the neck pickup. It's nice and smooth yet chunky. No noise unless you crank the gain all the way.

It's a great guitar for the money, not as good as the real Gibson, but not $1000 worth of difference. If it were stolen, I would beat the living crap out of the guy Who stole it OR (in the highly likely event that I don't find the gut) I would buy it again if it was the same price. I've been playing for about 3 years, through a Peavey Classic 30 with a Boss DS-1 and a Dunlop Crybaby Wah. I play mostly classic rock, but I stretch my style sometimes. With a change in pickups, this would be a really kick ass axe, so definitly a good buy.

I've never played this at a Live gig, but it could handle it. Everything seems like great quality, and I'd trust it without a backup. The strap buttons aren't the greatest quality but they're not gonna loosen up during the middle of a gig. I've had this guitar for 4 months and I don't treat my guitars lightly (with the exception of my Gibson LP and Fender Amerian Deluxe Strat), but the finish has stayed on well. Not one ding.

I think it looks so much better than the regular G-400 because of it's full pickgaurd and it's great finish. It's not a mock 'cherry' but a true Heritage cherry. The action came a bit low for my tastes, but with adjustments easy enough for a chimp to figure out it can be highered. The tuners make it stay in tune okay, but I noticed that the G and D strings come out of tune more often than the others, so I replaced the tuners with Gibson quality locking Grovers amd I'm all set.

Mine was made in 2007 in Korea. It's got the best looking cherry fnish for any Epiphone SG I've ever seen, and the full pickguard, which makes it look the the Gibson SG Standard. It's got nice trap inlays and the classic SG look and feel. It has some kind of Alcino classic humbuckers and a really light body. Plus, it's neck is really fast, which is a good thing.

suicidehummer
    The missing neck binding annoys the s**t out of me, and it has a '61 style neck joint, because I guess Epi got lazy and didn't want to give it the '66 neck joint. Otherwise, it's an awesome guitar.
    fifer
    I have this guitar also, it rocks! I play it through my Vox AC30cc2 and it sounds amazing.
    metalhed717
    i have this guitar and it is AMAZING!!! perfect for what i play. i tried a 61 RI gibson and there wasn't much difference between the sounds, pickups were a lil hotter, but that was it. wasnt as comfy to play, but for $2000 difference, i'll live
    Jack1992
    I love this guitar. Great feel, great look, but the neck is a little heavy, and weighs the rest of the guitar down, but other than that, I love it!