1966 G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: 1966 G-400

Purchased from: Andertons Music

I play most music style, from thrash metal, to mathcore, to classic rock, to psychadelic and all the way back again. It suits my music style well, and is as versatile as I like to think my fingers are. I'm using it with a Roland Cube 30 and a Big Muff and a DS-2. It gives a lovely "Spanky" tone at the bridge pickup, hot with attack, and a lovely mellow tone at the neck. I have however used it with a friends Valve Junior and it sounded even better. Lots of great tones to be had with some twiddling.

I play all kinds of music, and I love this guitar. Great match for me, I have been complimented on it, and on it's looks. I have been playing for 2 years and it was a HUGE step up from my Squier Strat, which now resides in my corner. I wish the company hadn't fumbled the order for my hardcase. 3 months to wait for a hardcase? I cancelled the order, and it fits in my old case anyways. There are some sad, sad people Who think it's funny to steal things, and others, who think it's funny to hide things. I would buy it in a heartbeat, if I could find another one! I love everything about it. Personally, I think the pickguard and the bridge humbucker are my two favourite things.

In a live situation, this guitar plays and sounds as brilliant as it looks. Sings though a good tube amp. I hope to purchase one to break uot the potential of the guitar. I have played it twice in church and once in a concert, and it sung! Would love to play more with this. Could easily take a beating. Truth be told, I was standing in my room, just playing and I set it down on the floor, it slipped on the foor, hit my wooden wardrobe and dented it!

Set up well, action was perfect for my taste, strung with 10s. Pickups were quite weird, in that the neck pickup is basically level with the pickguard an the bridge is almost as high as the bridge! This does ensure the SG tone, so I'll not complain. Everything else was top notch, cmoing from Epiphone's "Custom Shop" you hope to be purchasing a quality guitar, and it is, right out of the box.

MoonageDaydream
    Dodge99X wrote: whoopsie i said this guitar twice, i meant either this guitar or the Worn Epiphone Firebird Studio
    Get the SG. the second review is mine, and it's perfect for your styles.
    unclehowie
    Hey, got mine in jan.09 in the silverburst. always liked SGs but rarely played them. played one my niece had a while back and loved it. plays like a dream and sounds wonderful. play thru a vox i got to play my Korean Casino thru. (absolutely love the Casino b.t.w.) I overcame the SG neck-dive issue by using a 3" suede strap which limits its sliding. i've been playing since 1971 and although this is not a true '66 Gibson, its a terrific buy for the $350 i paid. rock on.
    Dodge99X
    I'm looking to buy either this beauty or the Epiphone Limited Edition 1966 G-400 (SG) but am not exactly sure which one to get. They basically have the same pickups but the Firebird seems too lose at high gains while the SG seems to do better (from what i've read). I want to try them out but with the holidays coming its really just a decision i have to make to ask my parents, and even then i mite not get it with money being tight. But my life story aside, are there any recommendations on which one to get? I love to play blues, classic rock, and hard rock, thats my main flow but i play alternative, punk, and nu-metal in a band (i like them too but not as much). Which one will have the versatility i need? I would appreciate any tips or whatnot -thnx =)
    Dodge99X
    guitargodgary13
    Yo i went into my local music store fully prepared to get a new guitar as my 13th birthday present so i tried this out and a $500 epiphone les paul standard. there was about a $100 difference between the two. Man do i love my guitar because it looks, sounds, and plays amazing. but yeah the neck seems to be weighing down the rest of the guitar but that is the only problem (that is very minor) i have