1966 G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: 1966 G-400

I play mostly classic and alternative rock. This guitar is perfect for that sound. I play through a Boss DS-1 into a Spectra jmf 210. I like the sound the best when both the pick ups are engaged. It gives the best variety. The treble setting it very "trebley" (great for leads), and the rythem setting is very full like it should be. Overal it has great sound.

I have been playing for 2 1/2 years, and I feel this guitar is perfect for me (It is my second guitar. I also have a Squier Strat). I would recomend it to any level player Who loves to play rock music. I did compare this to the Gibson SG Special Faded and it sounded identical, and the Gibson is twice the price. The #1 reason I love this guitar is because it looks and sounds like a Gibson and is 1/2-1/3 the price.

I've only had this guitar long enough to play one gig, and it was great. I played it without a back up and I would do it again. It's very reliable. I replaced the strap buttons with a strap lock system right away. When the new buttons were put on a screw wasn't put in right and it kept coming lose. I had to screw it back in every time after I played. Eventually the inside got stripped, and I had to put some match sticks in there to fix it. Other than that It's a soild guitar.

I played it at the store and it felt good, but I knew it could be better. The action was a little bit high, two knobs were lose, and the guy that helped me said the neck was a little bent/flexed. He fixed the action and the neck and it felt awsome. I forgot to tell him about the knobs, so when I got home I called him the next day and he told me how to fix it. As far as the pick ups go. The neck pick up is low and the bridge pick up is high. It sounds good that way so I'm not going to change it.

The one that I got was made in China in 2009 (Maybe 2008. I bought it in February and I don't know how old it is). It has 22 frets, and beautiful mother of pearl trapazoid inlays. Its body and neck are mahogany, but the fretboard is rosewood. Its finish is incredible! A true Heritage cherry that will get better with age. Another thing that I love is the grover tuners it has. It stays in tune great. I also bought a case for it (which I factored into the cost).