1966 G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: 1966 G-400

I play mainly alternative/rock/pop/experimental music, and also like creating a lot of feedback. With the pickups this thing has, they're alright. Not the best, but good enough. It's actually a very quiet guitar, unless I have my distortion pedal on anywhere near a television, haha. I'm using a Fender Frontman 15b sent through a Marshall Classic Original Limited Edition 4X12 cabinet. It sounds alright, but it kinda takes away from the sound because of my amp, so that's my fault, I guess. It has a little bit of a darker sound, but it's credible nonetheless. I haven't been able to mess around much with the versatility of the sounds yet, because I usually just find a tone, and stick with it... so yeah, no opinions in that field yet.

Overall impression, great guitars for beginners, and even advanced players, hell, even professionals will do good with this thing, just, people won't take you too seriously because of the brand of the guitar, but whatever, screw them. It sounds just like a Gibson to me, in which I own none, but I've played many. Many many many many. Anyway, it's a real good guitar. I'd suggest it. Something that you wouldn't regret, period, having in your collection, even as a just-for-show guitar.

It's been very reliable, besides the fact of the pickup selector issue, but that'll only cost a few bucks to get fixed, thank God, so other than that, no other problems with reliability. Perfect. As far as I can tell, this guitar will DEFINITELY make it through a gig, so no worries there. The strap buttons are great, just, I'd advise wearing strap locks on it, but that's just me. All my guitars have strap locks, because this one guitar came loose one time, and dropped. I wasn't too happy with that.

When I bought the guitar, it was okay. I had the strings replaced the day I got it, which was about 3 months back (Today's Monday, August 31st) so, overall it was crappy. I paid about 10 bucks for a quick checkup/pickup adjustment, and neck adjustment. All went well. Plays like a dream now. The only flaws on it are small scratches, where you can see a bit of the wood, but that's physical. Oh, and sometimes when you try to switch to the Treble/Bridge pickup, it'll get real quiet, but I guess I need to get the pickup selector re-soldered, and cleaned out, but I don't know.

This is an Epiphone G-400 1966 SG model, made in 2009, as far as I can tell in China. It includes 22 frets, and the neck is really fast, and small enough to fit almost any sized hand. It includes 2 tone and 2 volume knobs, although, when I bought it, one of the knobs had a little bit of it missing, and another knob was a completely different knob from another guitar, but looked like it was made to mock the Epiphone knobs. It is a solid top guitar, and I believe it is made out of Mahogany. It has a tune-o-matic bridge, with 2 alcino passive pickups, a 3-way pickup selector, and grover tuners. Great guitar overall, feature wise.