1966 G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: 1966 G-400

Price paid: A$ 519

Purchased from: Arties Music

I mostly play metal and hard classic rock (Kiss, Guns N Roses, Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath etc.), and occasionally blues/reggae type stuff, because it's easy to play and people like it. The SG suits most of these styles, but is best suited for 70's rock stuff. The clean sounds are awesome too, it has a warm vibe about it. I'm giving it a ten because classic rock is my favourite genre and the SG is best for that.

I think this guitar is perfect for anyone who likes playing old school rock stuff, and you wants a reliable guitar. It has good tones, good body and stuff. I owned a Fender Squire which was a load of crap, and this kills it. I have a Roland Cube 15X, and some Zoom G1X pedals, but I want to upgrade to the Marshall MG100HDFX halfstack, because the tones out of the SG through a Marshall kill.

I've used this guitar with my school band for jams every week, and when it came time for us to do a gig, the guitar held up fine. One string was out of tune, but that was entirely my fault, not the guitars fault. I had tuned about half an hour before, but I didn't run through the strings a second time, and with all guitars, you ought to do that, unless you have a locking tremelo. But I've used it on other occasions and it's kept in tune perfectly. I've dropped this guitar, whakked it into my desk, slammed the neck into my wall as I was walking out the door, and it's only come out with a few little marks, but I reckon the marks look awesome, because it makes it look a bit more aged. And yes, I would use this guitar without a backup.

When I bought the guitar, the bridge pickup was about double the height of the neck pickup, but I loved it like that, so I left it. The cherry red finish is awesome! All the chicks I know love it... big sex appeal with SG's. The strap buttons are solid as a rock, I have no doubt that they'll hold up. The controls were tight, and weren't loose or falling off, like my friends SG. It's not a bolt on either, it's a neck-through.

I dunno where or when it was made. It has 22 frets, medium sized neck, trapezoid inlays, 2 volume and 2 control knobs, and the full sized pickguard. It has alcino classic humbuckers. I got mine in the cherry finish and it rocks. It'd be better if it had a thinner neck (just personel preference), and a Floyd Rose, but it's an SG so that's not gonna happen. I took this over a Les Paul because it was double cutaway, making it easier for me to reach to higher frets in the lower strings, and also because Les Pauls are f--kin heavy.

Butthead
    I have one, I run it through a Valveking Head and a peavey cab (not the valve cab). Sounds great. Neck is typically heavy as with all Sgs, but a leather strap helps to hold it in place. The neck is great, I think any player can dig right in with it. I personally don't mind the lack of binding on the neck, I in fact prefer it. Finish is great, pu's have a great vintage sound, GREAT guitar.