1966 G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: 1966 G-400

I play a large range of music genres. Dipping into the classics of rock, punk, classical, and a little country. But for the most part I play Alternative and sub genres of alt. For my wide range in styles it is a BEAUTIFUL instrument. I replaced the original strings (Whatever guitar center had strung it with) with some Earny Ball Super Slinky strings. The sound is crystal clear. A clean sharp sound when using the treble pickup and a soft deep sound on the rhythm while using both provides a rich full sound. I played in store with it for about an hour going from amp to amp for comparison so I knew it was the one I wanted. But sadly I'm stuck with a crappy Danelectro practice amp for now. But it still sounds beautiful.

As I said I play a wide range and both aesthetically and technically this guitar matches me to a T. I've been playing for around 6 months though i've been playing off and on using guitars of others for about 2 yers. If it was lost or stolen and there were more available I'd happily pay another $100 over the price I originally paid to replace it. I paid an extra 50 for the finish. I compared it with all the guitars in the store within my price range of about 500. Overall its a wonderful instrument and would make a great first or second guitar for any guitarist. I'd suggest if your buying a gift though to pick up a First Act and save the money since it may not be something they would be interested in.

I've had it for about 2 months and so far it has held up to my treatment but I treat my guitars very very well and carry it in a case custom fitted to the SG model guitars. The hardware seems like it will last as long as the guitar does under the treatment I give it. I can't speak for stage since I don't play on stage.

The raised bridge is great for how it plays. It gives it better projection when playing acoustically and provides a better Acoustic sound (for when you want to play quietly). The pickups work well. They do their job just fine to provide great sound. The tone and volume knobs are a little offcenter which doesn't effect performance but it is a slight defect. The only real flaws were 2 small ones. The first being that the 3rd fret (as in the metal fret itself not the fingering spot) is slightly off angle leaning higher on the high string side. This didn't cause any visual problems at all. I wouldn't have known if I hadnt had it in my old Coffin case which was a little too small causing the neck to bow back a little over time. This caused the 1st and 2nd frets on the high e to be muted while the rest of the strings got buzz. But again this was my fault that the problem occurred and it was easily fixed by adjusting the truss rod. The second is when the selector is set to use both pickups it plays clearly. But turn the volume on 1 pickup to 0 and it mutes both. Not a problem since having 1 on 0 you may as well set to the pickup you wanna use and actually comes in handy for me if I want to play acoustically for some reason. But both are still slight flaws.

22 frets, beautiful silver burst finish, double cutaway, solid mahogany body, set mahogany neck, modeled after the 1966 model Gibson SG that had a short run from 1966 to 1970 being replaced in '71. Tune-O-Matic bridge, volume and tone knobs for each puckup with a 3way selector.