1966 G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: 1966 G-400

I play anything from Jazz to straight up Heavy f--king Metal. I say it covers everything well enough for my tastes. I know it doesn't excel at covering Everything. It does a good enough job for me though. I'm playing through a Peavey Vypyr 15 so I have some versatility in that regards with my sound. After all, the tone comes from the amp and the guitar. It's a very quiet guitar on most setting, and I can get it to sound full or crisp and clear with ease. Just depends on my settings. I'm probably going to Switch out my pickups for a Duncan JB/Jazz combo.

This is a good match for me. I've been playing for about 2 years now, and I only own a Squier Strat and this along with my Peavey Vypyr 15. If it were stolen I would buy it again. The thing I hate about this is the short scale neck. I like long scale necks. I compared it to pretty much every guitar in my price range, and I chose this one because I thought it was the best deal. I kind of wish it had a trem on it, but I believe I can just fit a Kahler trem into it. (According to the people at guitar center.)

I believe this guitar will withstand live playing. It's solidly built and mahogany is definitely not a weak wood. The hardware seems well built, I have full confidence it will last. I switched out the strap buttons for Dunlop Strap Locks. It's something I simply can't live without. I would not gig this without a back-up simply because my luck is absolutely horrible and the one time I were to do so, I would snap the neck off the body or do something irreversible to it. The finish seems absolutely amazing. The one problem I have with this guitar is it's not well balanced and the neck always likes to drift towards the floor.

The action it was in when I got it was absolutely, positively horrible. It played worse than my Squier at first and went out of tune like crazy. Took it in to a guitar tech and got it setup properly. Plays just as well as my friends Gibson Les Paul and stays in tune even with the craziest of bends. (I.E. Heartbreaker solo with Jimmy Paige's insane 2 step bends.) The bridge pickup was high just how I like it, and the neck was a little high for my tastes, so I just simply lowered it.

I bought this guitar to upgrade from my Squier Bullet Strat. It was made in Epiphone's china plant in 2004. Has a mahogany body, mahogany neck and a rosewood fretboard with trapezoid inlays. The bridge is the Standard Tune-O-Matic bridge. Has alnico passive pickups, classic plus in the bridge and classic in the neck. I must say, the neck definitely is not thin, but I love the feel of it. Tis a set-neck and it feels natural in my hands (well... Hand).Comes with a volume and tone pot for each pickup and a 3 way pickup selector.

ElevenBravo
    I've played this guitar for about 2 months now and here's my opinion. Why I bought it: I had my heart set on the Gibson SG Special Faded Cherry, but wasn't thrilled with the way it felt in the store. So I sat down with 4 guitars side-by-side and spent about 1.5 hours with them all at a store. 1. Gibson SG Standard 2. Gibson SG Special Faded 3. Epiphone Limited Edition 1966 G-400 Heritage Cherry 4. Epiphone SG Special Quite honestly, the Gibson SG Standard had the best tone. It had depth and bite. It *sounded* like an SG, because well, it is an SG. Smooth neck and decent setup action from the factory. The SG Special Faded had an attractive price, but I didn't like the feel of the non-lacquered neck. It just felt "dry" if that makes any sense. Tone was decent, but it just didn't feel right in my hands. Sorry Charlie. Also, I didn't care for the dot neck inlays. I like the trapezoidal inlays on the Standard and the G-400. Next played was this guitar, the Epi 1966 G-400. I was immediately impressed by the appearance and finish (Heritage Cherry) and studied it for a few minutes to uncover any flaws, but could find *none*. The tone of this guitar a/b compared side-by-side with the SG Standard through the exact same amp (Egnater Rebel 20 which I own) was tough to tell the difference. The output of the G-400 pickups are a bit less that the Standard and there is a bit less higher frequency "bite" than the SG. Tone difference can be compensated though by some EQ on your amp or a stomp pedal. The neck on the G-400 is thicker and heavier than the Standard and is a bit chunky, but in a good way. Although the G-400 does not have binding on the sides of the neck, it's very smooth and no sharp fret edges. You don't notice the absence of binding when playing it. The last one played was the stock Epi SG Special, just to provide a point of reference for the bottom of the pile, entry-level guitar. I won't say much about this one except that it was simply adequate for a low-cost beginner's guitar. I wasn't expecting much from this one. After playing this 1966 G-400 for a couple months now, I'm a completely happy with this guitar and would be at twice the price. It only gets smoother to play the more it gets broken-in. The only criticism I have is that the soldering connection to the tone pot from the neck pickup was a problem and I had to re-solder it. In fact, the neck and bridge pickups were wired differently to each other (neither to a standard Gibson SG wiring) once I opened up the back plate to have a look. So I looked at a Gibson wiring diagram online and then re-wired both pickups all the way to the switch. Problem solved and sounds great. Bottom line: If you don't want to spend an extra $350 - $850 to have Gibson on the headstock, BUY THIS GUITAR, but be sure to compare it to the other models in the store so you understand what an amazing value this is.
    pebbles123
    i have a sg standard gibson, and les paul standard GIBSON and this. trust me guys pick ups are great but if u spend an extre 150 for nice ones you get an AMAZING guitar its not quite up there but its about 8/9ths of the way