1966 G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: 1966 G-400

This guitar has a very raw sound. It's rough, unrefined, and dark. What that means is with the right setup, you can get almost any sound out of it pretty well. It sounds best on a full, clean, jazzy sound, or a very harsh, thrashing metal sound. Without a really great amp (I use a Spider III from Line 6) there really isn't much middle ground to work with. It becomes hard to control, and picks up more finger noise than I would prefer. Someone who's a bit more delicate with their playing style than I am might be able to get something really amazing out of this thing.

Pretty good guitar. About what you would expect from an Epiphone. Good guitar for the price, a great stepping stone when you're learning but not beginning anymore.

I've had it for maybe three or four years, and the only problem so far is a grounding issue, and that's a cheap fix, under ten dollars usually. I'm not sure that you would ever want to use this live without having a second guitar at the ready. I haven't had many problems but it's not perfectly reliable.

The factory set up is horrible. The neck pickup was sunk as low as it could have been, and the fret buzz was unbearable. I'm fairly certain that the bridge pickup shifts frequently, but it doesn't have any terrible effect on the sound. I'm not a huge fan of the glued neck, it makes some work more difficult. If you take it to a shop to get it set up, It's a wonderful instrument.

1966 G-400 SG was made in Indonesia probably later than 2008, I bought it around that time. The body is made of something that's not technically classified as a type of mahogany, but is called mahogany. From a practical standpoint it's really very similar. Rosewood fretboard, bound (contrary to popular belief) with 22 frets. The Heritage Cherry finish is the single most beautiful I've ever seen. Really top notch. Two passive classic Alnico humbuckers on a three way switch, with each pickup having its own tone and volume controls. There is, however, no provision for a whammy bar, if anyone cares for one of those. I personally don't. Also, red Epiphone's don't have the special thin cut neck other Epiphones do.