1966 G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: 1966 G-400

Purchased from: Hix Bros.

Sound is this guitar best feature. It suits my musical style perfectly, which was the main reason for my purchase. I don't play excessively fast and like I mentioned before I wouldn't recommend it for those who do. But, if you are like me and want a wonderfully sounding guitar with good tone and massive power I would definitely recommend this guitar to you. I play alot of heavy metal, classic rock, and blues. It gets a near spot on Black Sabbath, AC/DC, The Beatles sound if you are looking for these sounds. This is the perfect pick for that sort of music. I play mostly rhythm parts as well, since it might be worth mentioning. If you want a thrash metal, death metal, or shredding lead guitar for solos you might want to look at a different guitar. Its not noisy like I've heard others complain about it even with it at a very loud setting with my 30watt amp. The sounds it can make are either very evil/dark or very bright/happy not much in between but, I doubt that's what you are looking for. I'm giving it a 10 because it makes the sound I want which is a heavy, evil, powerful, and immense sound. I wanted to get a sound close to Tony Iommi, other guitars may be better suited to a different sound but, I got what I wanted and paid for.

Overall, this is a masterful intermediate guitar. I am an intermediate player and find it suits me well. Possibly a professional guitarist could use one even though they would probably just get a Gibson since they are better. But, for those who want a true heavy metal/blues/classic rock guitar for a cheaper and much more affordable price compared to a Gibson, I would highly recommend this guitar. I truly love this guitar and am very satisfied with it sound and features. If it were stolen I would buy it again if I had the money. I should mention the only guitar for me that could beat this one would be a very nice Gibson SG, other than that I love the sound Epiphone gave it and they did a good job getting the quality of a Gibson in a cheaper Epiphone model. It plays the blues and heavy metal/Tony Iommi sounds very well and I will be rocking with this guitar for a long time to come. This is a behemoth of a guitar and a high quality instrument. It makes a massive sound that hopefully you'll enjoy. I recommend this to any intermediate player, and I hope that this helps anyone on the verge of buying one to choose if this is right for them. Your welcome in advance to anyone who does buy one and enjoys it. Thanks for reading this review and rock on www.UltimateGuitar.com!

I think this guitar will last playing live as long as you don't go nuts with it. The main hardware will last but, the strap buttons that it came with are pretty average so I just replaced them with Dunlop Strap locks which solved the problem. I got those for $20 if you wanted to know. I would depend on it and use it at any gig I'd go to without a backup. The finish is very nice and I'm worried about messing it up by playing it too hard, it won't wear off, but it might get scratched up and worn after some more playing. But, that's the point of wearing down a guitar to actually make it look older.

Its very well made and the pickups are well adjusted on mine. Mine was new and had no marks or flaws from what I saw. The finish is amazing and shines and I would reccomend the silver burst if you have the money for it. I think the silver burst made it $400. Though, if you just want the guitar you can get it most places in red for $300 or black for $350. Its your choice.

I believe that mine was made in either China or Korea but, whereever it was they did a fantastic job. It is solid and very durable. 22 frets with a thicker neck for those in the market for one, just a warning for the many fans of thinner/faster necks. The guitar is made out of mahogany wood and mine has a beautiful silver burst finish. Just as a warning, I can understand how the SG body style may not be for everyone but, I enjoy it. This is clearly a guitar made for power not speed. Very active electronics with two Alnico pickups, one for treble and one for rhythm. There is a switch for both and the center is off. There are four controls, two volume and and two tone. Honestly the treble works great but, the rhythm pickup seems to be less responsive. Overall, some great hardware was put in this guitar. I think people want SGs to have the same makeup and sound as a Gibson which it basically does. Thanks Epiphone for a great instrument, I wasn't sure at first because this was my first Epiphone, and I am happily surprised.

ClaesCornelius
    A great friend of mine asked me for consultation as I have a soapbar Gibson SG and an Epi SG Junior. Thanx for all of your comments! A shop here in Copenhagen suddenly had a promo for Epiphone and I bought that Junior SG, LP Junior, a 12-string, a Casino, semi-acoustic bass and... a very weird Explorer (smaller but thicker body & with a wang bar similar to a Floyd Rose). That latter one is worth investigating! That was in 2000, more or less, and Made in Indonesia. Along the way, those Epi guitars have been reliable except for hardware parts: knobs and jack outputs that got loose. I'll pass on your precious info
    k33lhauled
    I just hate the fricking nickel hardware. I'm allergic to it and I didn't check it out before I bought it :-( I might have to go back to acoustic.
    UglierTree
    I have one and it can take quite the beating and has. very solid and great for anything with gain. it doesnt like the clean channel as much as i would want it to but it still is good.