Casino review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Casino

Purchased from: Brazilian Guitar Shop

I play anything and everything going from rock and roll to good ol' fashioned blues, I'm a feedback fiend and velvet underground enthusiast, not a Standard venus in furs druggie wanna be, more of a I heard her call my name Narcotic Anonymous member... I use this guitar in the studio hooked up to a Fender Twin Amp 100-Watt All-Tube Guitar Amp and I use a Fender starcaster distortion pedal, at home I use a Brazilian Meteoro 20W solid state amp with the same effects pedal and both of those set ups suit me quite well. The starcaster is a distortion pedal, so the gain needs to be quite low in order to get nice overdriven sounds of it, or else the damn thing feedbacks like crazy. I love the sound of it in everyway, unplugged it's almost like an Acoustic because of the full hollow body, plugged into the clean channel the P-90 pick ups are full of rich tone and a slight twang that resembles the tele a little, cranked the amp up without effects you get a lovely overdriven sound that hound dog Taylor comes to mind, and even with distortion effect on it you can work yourself on the volume and tone knobs to get a feedback free rich tone, helter skelter style..

I play a lot of my own compositions which go eveywhere in between rock and roll and the blues, I like playing covers of B sides of my favorite bands which are Stooges, MC5, Velvet Underground, Rolling Stones, Beatles, New York Dolls, early Floyd (interstellar overdrive type of thing) Elvis, traditional blues standards and etc... Every genre and style I play on this guitar is great, it can go in so many directions, and even though I'm not the lead guitarist in my band I play tasty leads in the casino, the treble on top tone and volume a on around 5 or 6 depending on how high the amp is cranked the guitar jumps up and bites you in the ass, great punch! I've been playing for 8 years or so, the past 3 in a real band, and before that I owed a squiet Telecaster while learning and then a Gibson SG Special, going from solid body single coils and humbuckers to a hollow body P-90 gave me a completely different perspective towards my playing, the response I get from the volume and tone knobs and Switch also blows me away, nothing I had experienced before. I would definetly buy this guitar again but since I am a guitar enthusiast I would like to try a Telecaster before getting the Casino again. I compared it to the Epiphone Dot before buying it and the trapeze Bridge and P-90's made it a hell of a lot more interesting than the Dot, I wish it had a bigsby but nothing like a 100 dollars and I'll get that wish conceived... The main thing that makes me curious is how the Dot will sound with a P-90 eversince that solid block inside of it helps with the feedback, but I'll stick with the Casino until I can find that out...

I have only played this in my home and the studio and both were suitable, I am aching to see how it holds up in a gig because of the feedback, but that'll have to wait a while... I am well satisfied with it and it's the only guitar I have since I sold the other one in order to buy this one, I will definetly depend on it!

The only thing that was a little off was the action, everything else was perfect! The sunburst finish is beautiful but I can see myself sanding it down to a natural finish in a few years... The tuners holds up the tone quite alright but I can see myself putting in some original Gibson tunning machines to get a different look, the white ones would look wonderful on it and I wonder if they fit the preexisting holes or if I'll need to drill new ones to get the new knobs in it.

Traditional Casino VS features, 2010 model sunburst finish. I actually was looking foward in buying an Epiphone Dot because of the price these guitars reach in Brazil, when I was at the store the salesman brought me the box which was supposed to contain an Epiphone Dot sunburst finish, when I opened it the salesman was answering someone else's question and when I saw it was the Casino I closed it down really quick and told him I would take it right away, I actually bought the Casino with the dot's price!