Custom G-1275 Cherry review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Custom G-1275 Cherry

I'm going to treat this section as if it were two guitars, and rate each neck individually. 12-string neck Predictably, it has a lovely full sound, but it sure is one bitch to restring and tune correctly, this is my first ever time experimenting with a 12 string guitar, and it's a bit of a grind. I'm playing through a Vox 100w amp and all the sound selectors are extremely responsive, all giving a nice tone at a few twists. I generally play classic rock and nothing beats playing rhythm on a 12 string, the noise is out of this world! And of course, Stairway to Heaven has never sounded better! There is no dreaded fret buzz! 6-string neck As mentioned before, access to the final few frets is awkward at first, but do able after some practice. The noise is very nice from this as well, can handle most style of music, in my opinion, also no fret buzz at all on this neck, either!

I only wish this guitar came with a third hand! Oh, and don't ever drop it on your foot! One of my all time favorite songs is "Stairway To Heaven", so of course, this guitar does suit my playing needs, as I am truly a vivid classic rock fan. And it is a joy to hear most songs being played on the 12 string neck, before switching to the 6-string at the flick of a Switch to play the solo! The thing I like most about the guitar, is the amount of different tones and styles of play you can get out of the 2 necks, you can go from folk, to rock, simply by switching neck. The thing I dis like most, is the lack of the free 3rd arm, and the hard part of reaching last few frets, but I can't spot any other flaws! Some people complain that they hit the neck selector Switch when playing rhythm, I've never had this happen to me, and fail to see how someone could do that!

This is one solid guitar (that's why there called SG's!), and I'm quite confident it will withstand gigging, and I will use it for just that, however, I would highly recommend getting a strong, decent, strap with locks. I certaintly wouldn't want no strap snapping on this thing, as it would go down, and with a lot of force! All hardware has lasted 15 pretty idle years so far, reckon it'll continue to last providing it's treated with care! When gigging I may use my Tanglewood Les Paul as back up, in case I generally do get too tired holding the thing, it is a heavy old boy! The finish, I believe, will last for a very long time, it certainly doesn't seem cheap nor thin!

The guitar is 15 years old, and the seller never mentioned if he'd changed the factory set up, when I played it, the set up was perfect for me on the 12 string neck, but I lowered the 6 string action a bit, as I prefer playing a nice fast low as action as possible when playing some lead. Also one of the pickups, for me, was raised way too high, thus lowered that as well, but nothing hard. There was no flaws with the guitar at all, there are no signs of wear, or anything!

Ok, I'd like to start this review off with a bit of a tangent, if I may, I have, over the last few months, be trying to upgrade my Tanglewood TSB C 58 Les Paul, for a Gibson Les Paul Studio or Standard of some sort, however having tried loads of stuff in the shop, I simply couldn't find anything I liked more than my Tanglewood, then I spotted this guitar, tested it, fell in love with it and started scouring the web for one with a hard case. I purchased this guitar second hand, and travelled a fair bit to collect it as well. The journey however, was worth it. The guitar was made in the Epiphone Custom shop in Korea, in 1996, and despite being 15 years old, the seller claimed to have only played it a few times, and it does look and play like new! And both necks are perfect, many idiotic people say when it comes to Gibson/Epiphone "Get a Gibson if you want a guitar to last over 3 years" (I still don't like Epiphone Les Pauls mind!) This guitar is 15 years old, may not have been played much, but if those necks are not warped now, chances are they never will The guitar came with a hard case, and strong leather/velvet strap with strap locks, Hard case was important for me, for storing, and when I begin gigging it. And now, the "what they say" bit. "Jimmy Page made it famous. Epiphone makes it available to you in fabulous detail. It combines a 6-string SG and a 12 string SG featuring Alnico Classic and Alnico Classic Plus pickups open-coil on the six side and covered on the twelve side mounted on a Mahogany body with a gorgeous Flame Maple top." My only complaints, are there are only 20 frets, that doesn't bother me, but access to the 18th-20th frets on the 6-string for lead solos, such as the final fast bit on stairway to heaven, is extremely limited, and takes a bit of patience to work out how to play there, still Jimmy Page did it, somehow... The finish on mine is a lot more darker compared to the current G-1275's being sold, mine is closer to win red, with faint black stripes, as apposed to cherry red.

MaggaraMarine
    Usually the double necks people play live are Gibson custom made because I think Gibson stopped making these guitars in the '60s(?). Jimmy Page used a custom made Gibson too because they didn't make these any more when he bought it. And this guitar is a mass produced copy of them. A more affordable version.
    daimjagv12
    lovely .lovely big twin , at a fraction of a cost,,,some great 70,s 80,s rock vibes both sound wise and visually i had a similar ibanez back in the 80,s till it was stolen, never and still not over its lost ;-(
    T7E
    MT_Obsidian : Very good review. I almost feel like I know the guitar myself! On another note, does the dude from Mastodon play this guitar? I have seen them live and he has a double-necked guitar, but I couldn't tell if it was this one or not...
    nah man thats a Custom made first act. But before he got the custom he may have used one(?) I dunno bro. Nice axe but
    Its the Kyle
    Amazing guitar, I would buy it in a heartbeat. I've come across one of these before, but it was a slightly newer model with some damage, thus is was $500 cheaper. But in the same guitar center three years ago, I saw the mother of all guitars: an axe that only Jesus could play....Double Neck 12 and 6 string combo, 2 humbuckers a piece and a stoptail per neck...A blinding white body finish and neck, ebony fretboard and gold electronics. I just started playing guitar and when i saw it hanging in the Gibson/PRS section of my local guitar center i fell in love with the (near $10,000) holy axe of heaven, and I've been searching ever since....keep a look-out for it, it is quite a beautiful sight :']
    Katto
    Imptheshrimp wrote: dale-banez wrote: Never heard of a "vivid classic rock fan" Perhaps "avid"?What? You never seen a dude glow at an [enter classic rock band name here] concert?
    ROFL!
    MT_Obsidian
    TheLostOne71
    bro to much acid
    Most_Triumphant
    The older Epiphones are way better than the newer ones, nice find man! That is one good looking guitar.
    doomplant
    Nice review! I love this guitar. I only played it once in a guitar shop, now I'm saving to get one myself!
    Kog_Les_Paul
    Davy755 wrote: The stairway solo was played on a pink paisley telecaster!
    i was referring to live, he does indeed use a tele in the studio version however
    Kog_Les_Paul
    dale-banez wrote: Never heard of a "vivid classic rock fan" Perhaps "avid"?
    indeed, i meant avid, apologies for my lack of proof reading...
    Imptheshrimp
    dale-banez wrote: Never heard of a "vivid classic rock fan" Perhaps "avid"?
    Duv
    Davy755 wrote: The stairway solo was played on a pink paisley telecaster!
    In the studio it was played on a Tele, live's a different story.
    six string1968
    I've owned 4 of these so far 2 used 2 new three in the cherry red color one in alpine white I hated to send the alpine white back as it was brand new but by the time it arrived it looked as if the UPS truck had drug it from the city to my rural and there was damage to the 12 string neck. I've had no problems so far with the one I currently own just like the one in the picture from the OP I've owned what I suspect were models of this guitar from two different runs of manufacturing what I mean here is there were bolt on neck models that had truss rod covers with SG,and or Gibson engraved into them I never owned any of the bolt on models but I know they had SG on the truss rod covers. My first one had Gibson engraved on the truss rod covers it was used and latter I noticed the necks were separating from the body so I got rid of that as fast as I could that was in 2004. I sought out another in 2008 bought it from Amazon got screwed over was told it was new found it to look as if who ever owned it prior to selling to me had tried using it as a gardening tool to dig up tree stumps with the necks on it were the same (separating from the body)I got refunded on it lost $60.00 in shipping decided to order the alpine white from music123 of course I had to send it back as I have mentioned this was in July of 2008. I was promptly told they were out of stock until October on the white model they kept setting the date back and I decided I might as well go for another cherry red musicians friend stepped it and finally I got my G-1275 in the all together. My advice don't by this guitar used unless you buy it in person if you decide to buy one used off the net ask for pics of the the neck joints I use strap locks and a wide strap on mine and have yet to have a problem with it staying balanced in the playing position and I fight less with it than I did with my others. The Gibson EDS-1275 is still in production here in the states it only went out of production in the late fifties for a short while the original had a thicker body to it. The only complaint I have with the G-1275 is I wish they would have kept in in line with the Gibson EDS-1275 Jimmy Page's EDS-1275 had the bridges set back because they both pulled up from the mahogany being too soft to hole them in place. One other thing to note and its taken three and a half years for this wise guy to figure this one out but when you set the neck selector toggle switch to have both necks on at the same time if you roll either of volume pots back or to the off position well you end up turning off both sets of pickups. At any rate the one I currently own is still all stock which will change here real soon other than that so far so good its not too bad at all both necks feel surprisingly good actually.