Demon review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Demon

Purchased from: Craigslist, New in Box

I've been playing more metalcore stuff lately, as well as Indie rock. The Demon has a mediocre clean sound so I mostly stick with the Strat when playing the latter. The bridge pickup has a really awesome growl on the low end, though it seems to break apart a bit if taken down to drop C. The mids and highs sound great. As it is stock, it's really a guitar meant to be played with high gain. Since I produce music more than I play Live, I use the amp modeler built into GarageBand, on a MacBook with an M-Audio interface.

I've had several guitars growing up, but I only picked it up more seriously in the past year or so. I also have an older Squire Strat, which I keep in Standard and use for playing clean rhythm. Because I'm also interested in playing metalcore, the Demon is a great compliment, as it can get the low growls and higher dissonant sounds I want. If it were stolen or lost I actually would try to find another one. First of all, they are absolute bargains (when you can find one). It's been 8 years since they stopped making these, and it's still possible to find new in box models. For around $200 this is a fantastic guitar for it's purpose, I haven't seen many others in the price range that I'm interested in. Secondly, I've always wanted a Jackson Rhoads style Flying V just because they look so damn cool. Light metallic blue is also a great color, it's exactly what I would have picked if I could pick any color. It just looks fantastic. I wish it had a better clean output, though that's something I'll probably fix with a new neck pickup. You can't play this guitar sitting down too comfortably, unless perched on a high stool. I don't take off any points for that because the only reason to pick a Flying V over a more traditional shape is of course, for fashion. And it does look great...

I've bumped this guitar into walls several times in the past 6 months I've owned it (it is almost 4 feet long), and it has held up great. The paint job is surprisingly durable. Strap buttons are solid.

The intonation seemed fine, but the action was a little high. The only flaws I see are a weak output jack and a loose pickup selector. These still need to be replaced on mine.

The Epiphone Demon was produced only one year, 2001, in Korea. 22 frets, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard. I have the light metallic blue model. 2 covered chrome humbuckers, a three way selector, volume and single tone knob. The headstock is angled, allowing better sustain. That's a feature you don't typically see on a guitar in this price range.