Dot review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Dot

Purchased from: Andertones

This guitar is easily more veritle than a Strat becuse of it's semiacoustic body. You can easily get away with playing acouslticaly and although it's obviously not as loud as a full on dreadnought it is fair.The problems start with the pickups they have a very averge sound quality and depspite the price they are the same pickups Epiphone use in most of their Standard les pauls, and a decent squire sounds so much better than this. havind said that they are versitle you can easily acheve woman tone for some soulfull blues and they can handle most of the gain you can throw at them and so they are aceptable for metal. I play most early metal and rock and it handels it fine but I'm not blown away.

THis is the most satisfying guitar I have ever owned dispite the problems I have listed this thing feels like it's a solid big round fat noise machine that is very easy to improve. all this thin woulld need is replacemnt pickups and then it would become the ultimate axe as the main problem is those cheep Epiphone pickups which for the reputation Epiphone has is unacetpable.when playing away you fel that massive rear end in your waist and you think. 'I am playing someting special'. this guitar has attitude and guts and for that I love it. Easily better than a standerd les paul becuse of it's majesty. Gives a great fat sound. I would love for it to have better pickups, then it would be a unsung hero.

this guitar has stood up to much Live playing and is now my main guitar. This guitar feels like it's built like a brick bog house despite being hollow. and will take lots of beating before you see a scratch. this guitar fell like it's ready for a journey of long useage which is amazing considering the price.

THe action was absymall from the facotry however I got a free setup from andertons and when I had it returned it was brilliant. the guitar can have differnt wood paterns you just need to look for it. mine has a small wood knot I chose becuse I liked the imperfection but is ver sublte and you can choose a flawles wood. The lacquer finish was very neat.it looks the part and is very handsome.

Made in China year 2007, 22 medium jumbo frets. solid Vintage sunburst top. an Alder body and mahogany neck with ebony fretbord, I was suprised as well, it may well be rosewood.A ajustable tune-o-matic bridge. pickups are Epiphone standards. comes with grover tuners. the body woods are exquisite for a guitar of this price and the tuners are on par with anything on a Gibson. I was very impressed.

live4ever2008
    What's better.. one of these or a Fender Standard Telecaster? I play a number of styles; classic rock, soul, punk, blues and ska, what would you recommend???
    live4ever2008
    johafa3 : I'm trying to upgrade the pickups on my epiphone 335 dot and don't know what to get - play foo's stuff mostly?- i pay through a vox ac50 cph
    Well Gibson '57 Classic Humbuckers are what's on the ES-335, might well make you're Epiphone sound a million times better. Probably better for someone else to say though.
    Blindharpdog
    I just picked up a beautiful natural Dot from the pawn shop. Great price. It doesn't play better than my Strat or Teli. It plays different. It is a different tool for a different job.