Dot review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Dot

Price paid: C$ 425

Purchased from: Steves Music

I play every kind of music imaginable, from classical to blues to punk rock to metal. I play through a Vox valvotronix 30 watt amp or my Laney 212, along with assorted effects. This guitar is the MOST VERSATILE guitar on the market. Gives amazing cleans and nice bluesy overdrives. When you crank up the gain the beautiful tone is still dominent. Personally I keep the tone knobs fully open because the pickups have a pretty balanced natural EQ. The pickups have no noise at all. The best thing about this guitar is the infanite sustain. The semi-hollow body design causes the pickups to continue to "pick up" the sound even after the strings have stopped vibrating. Imagine the exact tone of a les paul with more sustain. That about sums up the sound of this wonderful guitar.

Overall this is the best guitar I have ever played. I imagine the Gibson 335 (what the Dot is modelled after) is slightly better, but IS NOT worth the extra $2500 unless you have the money to spare. I haven't even thought of upgrading this guitar because everything it has now is perfect. This guitar is as beautiful to look at as it is to play, and the tone counldn't get any better.

This guitar is structured pretty solid for a semi-hollow body. I would definetely gig with this guitar. Pretty hard to scratch this baby. Unless you jump on the hollow "wings" of the body, this guitar is built to last probably longer then the player. If you plan to travel a lot with this guitar then I would suggest a hard case or a high end padded gig bag.

This guitar was set up almost perfectly right from the factory. The only flaw was the A string had some fret rattle. At first I thought the action was too low, but it turned out the string was slightly damaged. I put in some new D'Addario regular light strings and the problem was completely fixed. No fret rattle at all anymore. No other problems at all.

This guitar is semi-hollow body, I got the cherry coloured model. It has 22 frets with a laminated top. The neck is Mahogany with a rosewood fretboard. It has groover tuners and all the hardware is chrome. It has 2 stock Epiphone passive humbuckers (same as most Epiphone les pauls, etc.) Each pickup has a tone and volume control. The guitar had a tunomatic bridge as a 3-way pickup selector Switch. Only thing included with this guitar is an alan key and a small 1/4 inch cable.

JayLacelle
    irishstang_87
    JayLacelle wrote: Vrstone87 wrote: There is no way this is a 10, it's a epiphone. Aside from that this review sounds like a manufacturer wrote the review. Have you played one? You can't judge a guitar that you have never fealt in your hands before. It is a dream guitar.
    Agreed. Bought one today, you can't tell by playing it that it's not a thousand dollar guitar.
    Mr. Tomnus
    johafa3 : I'm trying to upgrade the pickups on my epiphone 335 dot and don't know what to get - play foo's stuff mostly?- i pay through a vox ac50 cph get gibson burstbuckers if u can afford them, if not, seymore duncan SH-2 and SH- 4 pickups. they sound very similar, the only difference would be the SD's ability to get the exact same tone as dave and chris at high gains.
    wizardcody
    I have a epi dot with flamed top I put in seymor ducan "pearlygates" p/u's in the neck and bridge..now my little"dot" goes from butter to crunchy screamimg demon at the the flick of a switch. did redo the action and adjusted the neck a little. using light gage strings helps