Dot review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Dot

It suits my music style very well. I play Chicago, Delta, and Western-style blues. I occasionally play some Chuck Berry and Wes Montgomery. I'm using it with an Epiphone Valve Junior Half Stack with no effects. It is not noisy at all(what are humbuckers for?). It has a very nice, full sound to it. By the way, I fingerpick, so the sound is very mellow, and cool when I do that. When I tried to use a pick, the sound was noticably brighter. I'm not good with picks, so I stay with my fingers. This guitar can handle anything that you'd throw at a Gibson with 57' Classics in it. Blues, Jazz, Country, Rock...you name it.

A good summary of the style I play is fingerstyle blues, and This is a perfect match. I've been playing for 4 years now, and I have a beloved (now slide guitar) Jay Jr Acoustic, that I modded a Strat pickup into. I wish I had asked for some polish or something similar before taking this home, and there are fingerprints on it, and I don't like that. I hate that I didn't get this a year ago, and I love that I got it this year. My favorite feature is being able to Switch pickups.

This guitar will definately withstand live playing, and everything looks long-lasting. The wood at the F-holes is about as thick as an Ipod Nano. I will depend on it, but I cannot trust any guitar without a backup, as strings don't last forever. Very good for it's reliability & Durability.

My Dot was set up perfectly from the factory, the pickups were all in line, the action was nice and low(although that makes it nearly impossible to do any slide), and the neck was straight as an arrow. The finish is flawless, and there are no knots in the wood at all. Although my only complaint is that, charactaristically, the "E" fell right off as I pulled off the plastic coverings of the pickups and scratchplate. I restuck it on the case.

This is my first real guitar. I've been playing on a Jay Acoustic for about 3 years, and when I got this guitar, I found out how good I acually was. The Dot I got was made in 2009, in May. It was made in Korea (like all Epiphone dots). It has 22(count 'em) frets. There was nothing wrong with them. It has a Laminated maple top. The neck is mahogany and the fretboard is made of rosewood. It has a 335-style body, and it is very classy looking. It has a darkish-red(cherry) finish, with cream body binding. The bridge is a Tune-O-Matic and it has Passive electronics. There are two volume, two tone, and a 3-way selector, just like a Gibson 335. There are two Alnico Classic humbuckers(stock), that sound very nice. They are double vacuum waxed and have Enamel-coated wire in them. The tuners hold tune just fine, only if you string it the "correct" way. For an extra $170, my Dot came with a case and a handful of picks.