Dot Deluxe Archtop review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Dot Deluxe Archtop

I'm using it with a (gross) Fender 25 watt Frontman and a DigiTech RP250 Multi-Effects Processor. It has a very full, rich sound, especially when played with an acoustic emulator. I've set it up with tube overdrive and distortion, and it makes a good sound up for jazz, blues, country, classic rock, and it even stretches to more modern sounds like Guns and Roses, AC/DC. After about Slash level, this guitar starts to get noisy and sound ugly. Too much distortion ruins the great sound. I'm searching for a guitar that ca handle heavier music, but until then, this is fine. For what it can do, I really love this guitar.

It has a great sound and feel. It puts other Epiphones to shame. If it were stolen, or lost, I would buy something else, but only because I've decided I wanted to take a different style choice. It's great, and I recommend buying it as a starter, practice, or studio guitar.

The guitar is reliable, and is tranported to other people's houses, studios, lessons, and back, all the time. I would have a backup at gigs, as with any guitar, but it seems like it can withstand Live playing of any kind without any problems. Besides the hardware, the finish is perfect.

The guitar required bridge and neck adjustment from the start, but after a tiny bit of rearranging it was great. Pickups were fine, as well as any other hardware. Finish was great, and still is. The only thing is, even after only a few weeks of play in a moderatly cool, dry environment, the guitar's pickups and bridge started to tarnish, and cheap gold finish came off to reveal silver hardware. The tuners are fine, but anything on the body is becoming less gold and more tarnished without any abuse or bad climate. If I ever start performing, I'll be buying a new guitar for it.

Mine was hand-crafted in China, then inspected and set-up in the U.S.A., or so the stickers on the back say. Maple 24.75" scale set neck with a rosewood fretboard with 22 medium frets. Body wood is maple with laminated stop. Mine is a flamed Vintage sunburst, which is absolutely beautiful. It's a double cutout Standard 335 body, two F-holes. Tune-o-matic bridge, stop tailpiece, grover tuners. All gold hardware with two '57 Alnico humbucking pickups and a 3 way pickup selector. Two volume and tone knobs. A 1.68" nut and a total weight of 7.5 pounds.

alfonzo99
    Nice guitar and good bargain but if you can stretch a bit more, get a Gretsch Electromatic hollow body.
    live4ever2008
    SOADriff : Kings of leon guitarist uses epiphone dots. Hes got a wicked tone.
    I'm pretty sure he doesn't, it's a Gibson ES-325 that he uses, similar in looks to the ES-335 (or Epiphone Dot)
    washburn0c03
    I own a dot studio and it's very nice. I've played these puppies aswell and they're also impressive. however if I did it again and had more money I'd go for a gretsch hollow body because they make em fantastic.
    Ace-o-spades
    was this guitar Michael Fox was playing in back to the future. That was coool.
    yup, but a gibson
    wjrobben
    Singer (Rythme) plays the 325, Lead plays a Epi Sheraton II I read that the 325 was purchased off ebay for $900 bucks. Kings of Leon are sweet! Just got my Dot Deluxe, best guitar i have owned! i Have had several MIM strats, American Deluxe Strat, Epi and Gibson LP. THIS ONE IS MY FAV, and i only paid $220 for it! love Craigslist haha