Dot Deluxe Archtop review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Dot Deluxe Archtop

Purchased from: Craigslist

I play mostly Black Keys and John Mayer, and it fits one of those styles perfectly. I run through a TS9 and a Vintage Little Big Muff and then to a Blackheart Little Giant Stack. With the muff I can recreate Dan Auerbach's (Black Keys) tone pretty much spot on because of the humbuckers and semi-hollow guitar, but John's tone isn't as easy to get. Because John uses Strats with single coils and a million different pedals it is a bit harder to get his tone, but I've gotten pretty close. The stock pickups are pretty good, the bridge gives a good crunchy rock sound even without OD, and the neck gives a smooth clean tone without sounding muddy, but they aren't quite the tone I'm looking for. Overall a good sound for the $200 I paid.

This guitar is pretty much exactly what I have been looking for. Beautiful finish and everything sounds just like I want. Overall I would buy it again if it were lost or stolen.

This guitar, despite being semi-hollow, can withstand abuse. It was accidentaly dropped headstock first into tile and then crashed into the ground and it was still in tune when I picked it up. Not a crack or dent to be seen, and it still is completely sturdy now. Also, it just turned 5 years old this november, and it looks pretty much brand new. The gold hardware is still gold, despite what everyone says, and the neck is completely straight. So unlike what everyone says, a good Epiphone is very reliable and will last you quite a long time. I would definitely gig without a backup.

Since I bought it used from a guy who owned a lot of guitars and knew what he was doing, it was set up near perfectly when I got it. The action was exactly where I wanted and the frets were perfect. The only problem was the knobs were loose becuase the washers underneath of them were not tightened all the way, but that was an easy fix. The back of the neck was coated in poly, so I sanded it down to the bare wood, and it plays like a dream now. Overall, it doesn't feel like everyone says an Epiphone does.

Up for inspection is a 2006 MIC Dot Deluxe Semi-hollow body from Epiphone. It has 22 frets on a rosewood fretboard with dot inlays. The body is maple with a beautiful flamed top. It is a semi-hollow so it has a mahogany block running through the length of the body, and it has the classic tune-o-matic stoptail combo. Passive Alnico pickups, both humbuckers, and individual volume and tone controls for each pickup. I bought it used and the guy threw in an HSC along with it, so that was pretty helpful. Not a lot of features, but what else do you need from a guitar?