Dot Studio review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Dot Studio

Purchased from: BillyHyde Blackburn

I play punk/rock/classic rock/ and classic metal. This guitar suits the punk scene very well and classic rock, and a nice 'dark' sound when metal is played and the right settings are used. Also Blues sounds really good on this guitar. I am currently running it through a really-misreable Fender Frontman 15G amp, but it sounds much louder than 15 watts. And with this guitar it sounds even stronger. Ithas a massive variety in sounds, and with the correct amp, you might even achieve that 'perfect' sound! The neck pickup is quite muddy and has a deep growl, pickup suiting Marilyn Manson style music. However, the treble pickup (bridge) is you can't really describe it. It kicks ass! The clarity is amazing when played through a clean sound, and it sounds extremely good when played dirty. Palm-muting with this pickup makes the guitar sound like a dream. And when both pickups are combined, the guitar achieves a new high, which is if you dial in the right settings, you'll get a really good sound. It obtains the best from both worlds. For me I use just a little bit of neck pickup for more bass, and a lot of the bridge pickup for that charming 'noise' it makes. However the pickups do sound really good, it stops at a certian level and leaves you wishing for just a little bit more. It sounds amazing anyway.

As I said before I play lots of punk/classic rock/ and metal, and this guitar appearance suits punk and classic rock, but the sound suits them all. I've been playing for 8 months, but I sound as if I've been playing for 1 1/2 years. I own a Fender Frontman 15G amp, a Squier Strat Affinity, and a Valencia TC-40 nylon string acoustic guitar, and another cheap Stella nylon acoustic which I got for $10 from an 'OP' shop. Out of my electrics, this one certianly kicks the Strat's as$, but I only keep the Epi in standard E tuning and the other ine on D/C tunings. The sound of this guitar is amazing, everything is good. I don; t regret nothing by buying this as I asked a lot of questions at the start. If it were stolen, I would hunt down the person who took it and bash him for taking it, but if I could'nt get it back, the theif would have stolen an extremely good guitar, and I would sulk until I cound buy another one. This is a nice 'economy' version of the Gibson ES-335 (which is around $3,000 AUS), which is my dream guitar. My favorite feature would be the bridge pickup, and the classic 'F' holes on each side of the guitar as I can spend hours staring into them. I compared it to the Strat and, it the Epi wins by around 100%. I wish it did have Dirty Fingers pickup in them, but time will let me accomplish that apart from that, the whole guitar rocks, and if you do decide to buy it, you will not waste your money. The minute I saw thid guitar I fell in love with it instantly, and looks nice with an ebony color. This guitar is perfection to the extreme.

This guitar is so strong it can withstand anything, you can jump around on stage with it, gives the strings a thrashing, and more just as long as you don't push it. Throwing it down the stairs or dropping it would probably stuf it up but I'm not sure as I don't want to try doing that. The hardware is perfect and seems like it will last, but the pickups just don't satisfy me. I'm replacing the bridge pickup with a Gibson Dirty Fingers pickup (remind you of Blink 182 anyone?) to get that overdriven to the extreme sound. I would, like with any of my guitars use it with a backup, but rarely. In fact most likely not. But for all my guitars if I gig with it I would always use a backup, regardless the guitar or strength of it.

The guitar came fine from the factory, and the action was good, but not the high action. Most of the guitar came fine with everything how it sould, but since my guitar came back home on a bumpy ride, the bridge pickup is a bit loose as all of a sudden it 'dims' down. But that is just my guitar.

This is a Epi Dot and it's made in China. It has 22 frets, and a Rosewood neck. The body style is a double cutaway. Passive electronics. It has 2 Volume Knobs and 2 Tone and 1, 3 way selector Switch. Each pickup has it's own tone and volume, and when this guitar is used in the 'middle setting', you can dial in various tones. The pickups are 2 standard humbuckers. It did not come with any other accesories as I bought it straight off the shelf.