Dot Studio review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Dot Studio

The sound is the trademark of this guitar, after looking at teles and being annoyed by there 'twang' I was very impressed by the incredible versatility of this guitar. You can put it in one setting and have a perfect rhythmn guitar, and flip a couple knobs and you have a soloing beast. The humbuckers are great, not very noisy at all, but then again its not a Gibson, but for the money who cares?

I own a Martin acoustic-electric and a Squier Strat, the Strat just wasn't getting the job done so I had to upgrade. It's hard to classify what type of music I play, its mostly "roots rock" or "alt-country" but I really love everything from Led Zeppelin to The Wallflowers. This makes this guitar perfect. It can do everything and do it well. When buying I was looking at this, Fender Strat or Tele, and an Epi Les Paul, but this just seemed to be better. The Fenders sounded too country, and the les paul seemed to be locked into rock mode, while the dot could pull of everything. If it were stolen I would not only buy another, but I would hunt down the person who took it, it's just that good.

So far, I haven't used it in any live performances but I would imagine it would hold up. The thing rocks and I look forward to the first time I get to play it in front of people. Some people may not like the hollow body design because it is much wider than a lot of guitars, so you have to be careful not to bang it on stuff.

Overall, I had a hard time finding faults with this guitar. I bought it at guitar center, and they had it in the back so I was the first person to ever touch it. The finish I got was red, with chrome parts. As of yet, I haven't found anything loose, seems like a pretty solid machine. The action is perfectly set up for me, but then again thats a personal thing. The only complaint, and a petty one, is the strings it comes with, they are alright but I will probably replace them.

So this is a semi-hollow model based heavily on the Gibson version, the ES-335. Mine is a cherry red finish, which is awesome, with 2 covered humbuckers that are three way switchable. Each humbucker also has its own tone and volume knob (4 in all). A nice addition on mine was the grover tuners, which are very nice.