Dot Studio review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Dot Studio

Purchased from: guitar center

Well one of the first things I did was replace the stock bridge pickup with a Duncan detonator. And now I am replacing that pickup with an active EMG 81 so that should have a sweet sound. I'm probably the only person with an 81 in a hollowbody. I play it through a B-52 at-100 head and a Fender cab and it sounds great, even the stock pickups were pretty good. I play mostly punk rock through the bridge pickup but I played through a Fender Twin on the neck and mid to try to get an acoustic sound and it sounded pretty good. It gets a good sound for anyhting. It's hollowbodyness makes it a good tradtional guitar for country or just random chordy type music but it makes a rad punk/metal/distortion sound.

This guitar is sweet. It's really big though so if your into jumping around and all that like me, make sure you can handle it. The other guitarist in my band played a standard Epiphone dot. I much perfered mine over his (his was sweet too). Also if your still enw or your just learning guitar, I wouldn't suggest this one ebcause there are no dots on the fret board and I know when I was learning, I sued these a lot.

I played this guitar Live for about half a year and it's seen many shows, many guitar jumps, I even managed to do a few guitar swings with it which is ridiculous because of it's size. I love it. It's completely durable, allthough I wouldn't play any guitar without a backup (string breaking etc) the finish is good although the guitar has been "punk rocked" (plastered in stickers).

I bought this guitar used and was a huge mistake in a way. The person who had it before me had screwed around with the truss rod (I know this because the little truss road cover thing had been screwed in wrong) and it got pretty ridiculous fret buzz. I took off the little plastic thing on the end of the fretboard where the headstock was and but a little piece of wood under it to raise it a bit, and then I adjusted the truss rod. It's a set neck so I was pretty scared but it worked fine. It still gets fret buzz but it's what you'd expect out of a guitar in the pricerange. Another problem was the actual frets. The 19th or 20th fret was sticking up a bit at the bottom. My string got stuck under it at a show. I started a guitar solo and everything on that string was coming out as the same high pictched note. The note was certainly not in the same key as the song and it sounded horrible. I'm not the only person I've heard of talking about this on a Dot Studio. however all of the problems except the fret messing up were not because epeiphone built a bad guitar. They were ebcause the original owner had no idea what they were doing.

I belive this guitar was made over in asia somewhere. It was set up in the USA. It has 21 frets on a rosewood fretboard. There are no dots or anyhting marking the fret board which is kind of ironic concidering this uitar was named after the dots on the fretboard. It's a semi-hollowbody and it is tomato red with black hardware and binding. It's got the traditional Gibson style tune-o-matic bridge. 3-way switch and one tone and one volume. It came with 2 exposed Epiphone hums. Tuners are standard Epiphone ones and are black.

Weybl Himself
    Big mismatch here with the first 2 or 3 reviews, they seem to be describing the Dot, not the Dot Studio.