Elitist Les Paul Custom review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Elitist Les Paul Custom

Purchased from: Outlaw Music, Missoula MT

This guitar sounds great. I'll probably be changing out the bridge pickup in the near future, possibly to a Duncan Distortion like I have in my Epi LP, but the neck pickup is fantastic, both clean and distorted. I play through a Laney GH50 tube head and 4X12 Laney cab, through a Metal Muff stomp box. This guitar sounds very clear, warm and full, a noticeable step up from my Epi LP Custom, and hands down a better guitar than the Gibson LP Studio, which was the other guitar I was considering picking up. I play harder rock/punk music (www.myspace.com/comeupswinging, not the greatest recordings, but we aren't trying to 'get famous', just having fun) and of course, the Les Paul, which bridges many style gaps, works well for me.

I had full intentions of getting a "Gibson." I owned a mid 90's Gibson LP Studio when I was younger, but they sure don't make the studio like they used to. I did a little side-by-side comparison w/the Elitist and the Studio, I found the studio to be considerably lighter (which I don't like), less comfortable in the neck, not nearly as well finished, and "cheap" feeling in comparison to the Elitist. I'm not saying that the Studio is a bad guitar, but it is without question "inferior" to the Elitist in all areas other than the Nitrocellulose finish. As compared to the Gibson Custom Shop LP, it is maybe a hair lighter, has a rosewood fretboard as opposed to the Gibson ebony fretboard (the only thing I wish the Elitist had done differently), but otherwise is of very similar feel, sound, and playability. The Elitist case is nice, kind of an alligator finish, nice hasps, arched top, an ugly purple lining, and a nice leather wrapped handle. Had I been able to spend $3, 500 on the Gibson, I would have, but in my opinion, the Elitist is the "same" quality guitar for 1/3 the price. Did I mention that it was beautiful? Flawless binding on the top and back, neck and headstock. The headstock is also apears to be at the "correct" Gibson angle, as opposed to the Standard Epiphones.

Solid. The hardware is a big step up from the regular Epiphone line. I had Schaller strap locks installed, but the stock buttons looked good. This guitar is as reliable as any Gibson. I'm also really looking forward to the Alpine White finish turning yellow.

Flawless. Alpine White looks fantastic, and will age very nicely. My shop did a pro setup, so I don't know how well it was setup from the factory. As beautiful as the Gibson Custom Shop counterpart, if you can stand not having "Gibson" across the head stock.

rockhead77
    is this guitar as bright sounding like a gibson or does it have a daarker tone like most other epiphone's?
    Sage
    rosemetal17 wrote: if u want this version of guitar in gibson, what model would be the similar one?
    gibson makes this guitar and its called the les paul custom just like this one. if you are looking for this exact guitar in gibson its like 3400-3500 at my local music shop.
    samm12
    God, I want to get one of these. alpine white is very sexy, and elitist epi's are amazing.
    lucas_22
    like to get a elitist. orginally i wanted to get a gibson sg cause of the price compared to an les paul in gibson. i saw this and was like wow, because it woulod feel the same as my epi lp standard which i love already, and would sound great unmodded. also i dont need to be worried when i go touring to be a little rough on it. its not like im spenidng my whole inheritance on it like a gibby custom, which cost about 3500 dollars. i could buy one of these and still have enough dow to buy a marshall jcm 2000 full stack which would also be good fot touring and still have about the same quality.
    Entendu
    RedHotFan182 wrote: taking back sunday's rhythm guitarist uses elitist too so mcr arent the only ones
    yea eddie uses one, Fred played Gibson SGs
    Ali-b912
    nightwalker903 wrote: i know ill prob get flamed but my chemical romance plays them. no im not a fan but its pretty kool someone in a famous band uses a epi rather than gibson. ive heard the elists are amazing and better than normal custom. i have a normal custom and might be tempted to get one of these instead of a gibson
    i think most of lynryd skynyrd now play their epiphone one, but i dunno about it. alot of famous bands use(d) epis tho, i know the beatles did and so did oasis. i think many famous bands probably use them but not on stage or recording. during rehearsal some bands would probably use epi because they arent as epensive in case of accidental floor collisions. even tho yes they dont pay for them all the time, gibson isnt just gonna be all "woop diddle dee dee you smashed 38 guitars, heres some more"